We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speke Uganda Tour Company

Alexandria
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Speke Uganda Tour Company

When I was frantically trying to plan my 16 days in Uganda, I found that there was not that much information available regarding some of the tour companies I was considering, and this created a bit of anxiety for me because, as we all know, when you're talking about more than a few hundred dollars, you a) don't want to mess around and b) want your dollar to go as far as it can. So I searched and searched and eventually went with Speke Uganda, a somewhat young, but apparently well-organized company.

I'm not going to go into all of the details, because there are so many trip reports available that I don't think mine is really going to contribute anything significantly different. However, I would like to give my opinion of Speke because it's so hard to do good research when you're not on the ground in the country.

Would I recommend Speke? Definitely. My tour was well-organized, as cost-effective as it can really be for a solo traveler doing a lot of things in all parts of the country, and I found that everyone from the company with whom I came into contact was professional.

That's not to say that everything was perfect, since, hey, this is Africa, and I was trying to arrange things at the last minute. However, they were flexible and understanding and dealt with any issues as quickly as possible.

My guide, Hamid, was friendly, professional, and knowledgeable. I spoke to the manager, Tony, several times and met him once, and he was also great. This is definitely a trustworthy company.

If you have any specific questions about Speke, I would be happy to answer them.

Thoughts on selected (but not all) places I visited in Uganda:

-Kampala: Didn't really get to spend a lot of time here, but I would recommend NOT staying at the Holiday Express hotel.

-Jinja: 2Friends Guesthouse: Definitely recommended, also the hamburger was amazing. There's also an interesting market downtown.

-Mt. Elgon: Awesome, pretty easy hike. I had some altitude issues, which was weird because I didn't on Mt. Kenya, but who knows?

-Chimpanzee tracking: Cool, but definitely glad I had a waterproof camera (wish it had a better zoom).

-Gorilla tracking: Obviously amazing.

-Lake Bunyonyi: Gorgeous, relaxing. Stayed at Bunyonyi Overland Resort for a few days after the tour part of my vacation was over, and I would recommend it. The people were friendly and there was a campfire every night.

-Bus from Kabale-Kampala: An adventure for sure.

-Garuga Resort Beach Hotel: Hated it. Planned to stay for three days, only stayed for one night.

-Entebbe: Cool town, easy to walk around, laid back. Definitely check out the art shop at Ann's Corner. I got a beautiful painting there. Spent one night at the Airport Guesthouse (awesome, pricey, huge beds, good food, good splurge) and one night at Traveller's Inn (hostel).

Go to Uganda.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Gorillas and Beyond Safari
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Multi-day Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Escape Tours & Safaris
Sightseeing Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours
Sites Travel
City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Hamble, United...
Level Contributor
431 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speke Uganda Tour Company

Could I please ask why you hated Garuga Resort Beach Hotel.

Paul

2. Re: Speke Uganda Tour Company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 24, 2014