We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still planning...Gorilla Forest Camp or Mahogany Springs?

Haugesund, Norway
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Still planning...Gorilla Forest Camp or Mahogany Springs?

So our Uganda adventure is starting to fall into place and I have a couple of quotes from TOs. One thing I'm unsure of is where to stay in Bwindi. I know this will depend a little on where we get permits, but I am aiming for Gorilla Forest Camp or Mahogany Springs. The TOs have suggested MS, but I think this is because of price. Does anyone have favorites or info on the differences between the two lodges? All advice much appreciated.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still planning...Gorilla Forest Camp or Mahogany Springs?

Gorilla Forest Camp is the one all the others aspire to match. I have stayed there on previous trips but no longer do so because of the cost. The "Rooms" are huge and the service exceptional. If cost is not a limiting factor to you then I recommend you stay there.

This is not to decry any other camps in Buhoma including Mahogany Springs, which is lovely, but in my opinion they do not measure up to what you get at GFC.

Everywhere is overpriced in Buhoma so you may as well go for the best.

Haugesund, Norway
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Still planning...Gorilla Forest Camp or Mahogany Springs?

Thank you mfuwe. This was really helpful. Lets hope I can make the budget stretch!

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Still planning...Gorilla Forest Camp or Mahogany Springs?

I think that the service and overall quality for Mahogany Springs is better and I usually recommended it for clients as it is clearly better value for money. However, Gorilla Forest Camp does have a long reputation and is in a slightly better location. Even though it happens rarely, many stay at GFC with the hopes that the gorillas will come into the camp, which I don't think has happened at Mahogany. I would not count on this happening, but if it does you have now gotten your moneys worth.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Still planning...Gorilla Forest Camp or Mahogany Springs?

I have been to both lodges but gorilla forest camp is still the best in the north of Bwindi (buhoma)...

Haugesund, Norway
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Still planning...Gorilla Forest Camp or Mahogany Springs?

I think I am leaning more toward GFC, if budget allows. Thanks for the info everyone :-)

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Still planning...Gorilla Forest Camp or Mahogany Springs?

Which did you choose in the end?

Haugesund, Norway
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Still planning...Gorilla Forest Camp or Mahogany Springs?

We chose GFC, but not going until Feb 2014.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Still planning...Gorilla Forest Camp or Mahogany Springs?

Just to put my 2 cents worth in there. We just came back from a magical trip in Uganda. (September). I didnt see the Gorilla Forest Camp but Mahogany Springs was great. We really enjoyed our stay and could not fault the service. Our agent was quite adamant that we stayed there and we were happy that we were pushed to it. Most notably though the Gorillas did visit the lodge and based on some You tube videos they showed me when we were there, they visit quite often. I know one of the guys on our trip is going to be posting some videos soon. Hope that helps. As i said i never saw the other lodge but no need! good luck with your trip, it will be amazing.

Haugesund, Norway
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Still planning...Gorilla Forest Camp or Mahogany Springs?

Hi Shirley,

Thank you for this. You are so lucky the Gorillas visited your camp. I can only dream that that happens while we are there. You comments make me wonder again as to which camp to book! I look forward to seeing the youtube videos.

Anyone else know if the Gorillas are frequent visitors of GFC?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Still planning...Gorilla Forest Camp or Mahogany Springs?

R Group of gorillas are often not far away from Buhoma. They turn up when the Celery is ripe and often visit Lodges or even private gardens. You can tell when they are near as UWA close the self guided river trail to try and stop you getting a free view!

They have regularly been seen at GFC, there is that famous video on You tube and at Volcanoes Bwindi Lodge as well as Mahogany Springs and no doubt others. You may get lucky but you won't normally get close for long except when tracking.