We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Uganda trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a Uganda trip

Hello All,

In Spetember, my girlfriend and I intent to visit Uganda. We aim to do 8 days / 7 nights seeing the best of Uganda. Bwindi, QENP, Mitcheson and white water rafting are our priorities. But I appreciate we may have to compromise.

Is a budget of approx GBP £1500 per person enough to stay in luxury accomodation, and include gorilla permits, all food, drives etc?

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Planning a Uganda trip

Day 1 - arrive entebbe 0915, drive to ziwa rhinos which is about 4 hour drive from entebbe and you will be in ziwa at 4:20 stay at amuka lodge. do the late evening rhino trekking.

Day 2 - check out in the morning, visit the top of the falls and then afternoon boat cruise to the bottom of the falls.

Day 3 - Morning game drive, have lunch but you have to ask your ground handler not to forget to ask for late check out front paraa lodge. check out at 3:00 and then drive to hoima which is 3 hours drive from paraa lodge. check in at kontiki hotel..

Day 4 - head to QENP...

Day 5 - QENP drive am, head to bwindi in pm

Day 6 - gorilla trek and drive lake bunyonyi ...

Day 7 -morning boat cruise to some of the batwa islands and then head to Kampala

Day 8 - rafting day and back to kampala.

Day 9 - transfer to entebbe and then fly to Zanzibar..

Hope the above can work for you..

Boston...
Level Contributor
817 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Planning a Uganda trip

We used kenya airlines when we went to kenya last year.. No problem.. BUT because we were doing some internal flying, we brought one carryon each.. (Which was a miracle!).. But the properties usually offer laundry.. So if it will make you feel better, just take a carryon.. Pack 3 days worth of clothes and wash while there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Planning a Uganda trip

I'm back. Been doing loads of forwards and backwardsing with airlines, agents, hotels, TOs. Exhausted.

Think i'm about ready - but are TOs payment terms usually gorilla permits plus 30% deposit, remainder 45 days in advance?

Boston...
Level Contributor
817 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Planning a Uganda trip

The operator I am working with asked for the same...

Be prepared to wire the money.. a lot of operators are not equipped to take credit cards.... as long as they are reputable and you take out travel insurance, I usually don't give it any more thought.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,585 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Planning a Uganda trip

Payment terms vary but that is about right. They have to buy the permits so quite rightly want your commitment to that. Then the Deposit and final payment terms do vary.

As MakeUp says this is usually by Bank Transfer. Safe enough but Fees can stack up. As you are based in UK have you heard of The Post Office's automated service? www.postoffice.co.uk.international-payments

It works well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Planning a Uganda trip

Righty-ho. Trip booked. Flights bought. Uganda TO selected and deposit paid. Itinerary agreed.

Africa here we come!

Thanks to all those who have helped, guided and suggested.

Itinerary is as earlier suggested: first two nights in Paraa, then in Masindi, then in Mweya, then two nights Silverback. We will do Rhinos if time, and we opted to spend the extra time in MFNP as game drives there supposedly better, but hope to still squeeze in a QENP game drive and Kazinga Boat. Then allowed a day to 'get wet' much to mfuwe's disapproval!

We selected Churchill out of the 5 tour operators we approached - they seem to have the best positive feedback on tripadvisor, gave a detailed itinerary, offered the best value for money and Ether was excellent - informative and quick in replying to queries. Seem good so far, but proof will be in the pudding.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,585 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Planning a Uganda trip

I am sure it will go well. The rest is just a long wait. Good luck with the trip.

I don't disaprrove of anyone getting wet. (so long as they know what they are doing.) Don't swallow too much water and if you feel sick afterwards see your doctor and mention the word "Bilharzia!" He will take it from there.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Planning a Uganda trip

Which of course is very tongue in cheek and not what to do.

Drs in UK are clueless when it comes to bilharzia, and ingesting by mouth has now't to do with it. There are more than enough posts on the topic if you search for them in the box above.

For further clarity PM me!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,585 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Planning a Uganda trip

True. I did not wish to alarm Mark by telling him how the Bilharzia larva actually gained access, or what it did when it got there.

However it is unkind and untrue to brand UK Doctors as clueless. Once Mark has advised them where he has been and what he has been doing (and he MUST do this) they will realise this is not flu he has brought home.

Delaware
Level Contributor
414 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Planning a Uganda trip

Wow, you've put your plans in motion much faster and with tons less dithering than I did -good for you! We also used Churchill for out TO in February and had a great trip. Have fun!