We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gentle rafting trips for kids...

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Gentle rafting trips for kids...

Anyone done the Adrift family boat trip (half day) near Jinga. The website says it's for kids age two plus.

Good? Need I worry about bilharzia in these stretches of (moving) water.

Thanks!.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gentle rafting trips for kids...

No, but I know lots of people who have done the Family float.

And Yes.

You have to get into the boat....

PM me for further details.

Kampala
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gentle rafting trips for kids...

No need to worry about Bilharzia

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gentle rafting trips for kids...

Take your kids and they will do floating trip... For this i recommend Adrift because the have enough experience on the Nile and good insurance cover...

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gentle rafting trips for kids...

take Adrift boat trip for family,it will be fun,i would not worry about bilharzia.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gentle rafting trips for kids...

Ooooh dear....!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gentle rafting trips for kids...

Oh dear? Should I worry then?

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gentle rafting trips for kids...

And if I should worry - what should I do about it? Just worry? Not go? Take pills as a precaution? (before or after). What would the company recommend normally? Thanks.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
529 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gentle rafting trips for kids...

Family float trips are normally for kids and old people who don't want to get wet and with Bilhazia please don't worry because here the rafts don't go upside down.

try it out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gentle rafting trips for kids...

actually i am not sure i'd go with the completely safe etc.

wish i'd known this before swimming happily at jinga...! and wading etc.

bilharzia was never even raised as an issue (this was more than a decade ago).

…cdc.gov/eid/article/16/5/09-1740_article.htm

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gentle rafting trips for kids...

OK, here's my personal take on bilharzia:

If you can get the kids into the boat without wading from the shore line (carry them?) then their risk for getting bilharzia is low. If you are not worried at all, and your kids can swallow tabs subsequently, then let them climb in.

The question about whether the rafts flip or not, is irrelevant. The parasite enters microscopically through the skin, you can be in the boats and get it from being splashed by the merest drop! My daughter jumped into the middle of the river several times on the big trip, came out and wondered why her torso was covered in a red rash under the life vest. We didn't know then, what we do now! There were 9 of us on that trip, and she was the only one that happened to.

Back in 2008 even the a long-term GP didn't acknowledge bilharzia in the Nile, but agreed they were prolific in the Lake. If the Lake flows into the River, it doesn't take rocket science to fathom there will be bilharzia in the River! I first picked up little snail shells on the rocky shelf at The Haven that year! I have a catalogue of anecdotes I could share with you, from my own family (mis-diagnosing) and Gap Year studes who were with us, and friends and their children, and my husband "yes you were right, I should have taken the tablets.." but this was after swimming at The Haven. Son got ill badly after rafting. For the record at the Haven there are signs pointing out which areas are High Risk and Low Risk, fair play to the owner (and he has now installed a pool anyway!), but there are some other less scrupulous outfits who deny it all.. and then people go there and get sick. Problem is a multitude of different possible symptoms, and often the person has left the country without thinking about it - then for example presents to their GP, who of course isn't going to prescribe without getting a test first... complicated, long.. person is still very ill.. I have been there stupidly, for not sending daughter back with the medication! Same Kampala GP now very much in agreement, there have been so many cases reported.

Having said all this, I always counsel people I come across to ENJOY the River. But buy the meds and take them 6-8 weeks later (when they start to reproduce in the intestines.)

And for the record there are some rafting companies who actually send their clients home with the tablets too. Not quite sure about Adrift, they are one of the better companies IMHO.

I would put the ball back into their court and ask them - how do they get small children in? It's great fun, and worth doing, with a few small steps of precaution.

Edited: 12:55 am, March 20, 2013