We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Uganda Trip Feb 2013

Guangzhou, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Our Uganda Trip Feb 2013

We just returned from an eight day trip to Uganda. What a lovely country with lovely people. We used Africa Adventure Safaris, through our agent Nicholas. When one piece of our luggaged was delayed in Dubai, Mary and Wilbur from the company came to our hotel to figure out the best way to get the luggage to us without inturrupting our safari. they picked it up at the airport and put it on a bus to Fort Portal where we were reuntited with our belongings. Our trip was smooth, with everything arrange to the last detail. Our guide/driver Douglas was an excellent driver and very knowledgeable. Tourism is just taking off in Uganda and I hope the country is able to further develop this excellent source of income for the country. The lodging and guide industry is well under way, but the infrastructure, roads particularly, still needs some work.

THE TRIP

We started with the Rhina trek, well worth the drive. Uganda is trying to reintroduce Rhinos as the entire population has been eradicated. At present there are 13 Rhinos all of which have been imported. It is a very interesting hour or so.

We then went on to Murchinson Falls. An amazing feat of nature, where the entire Nile River is squeezed through a 7 meter gap. There are many animals to see on the way to the falls. We stayed at the Paraa Lodge, very posh, where elephants came to feed in the evening.

After a long drive, with a stop to claimed our much missed luggage, we arrived at the Chimpanzee Guest House overlooking a tea plantation just on the edge of Queen Elizabeth National Park, a lovely spot to rest. The next morning we went in the Chimpanzee trek. It is a beautiful walk, and a wonderful experience with the chimps, who eat, romp and carry on life with no concern for the humans watching them. A must see in Uganda.

We transferred from there to to the Enganzi Lodge on a bluff overlooking the national forest. It was a lovely place, but rather out of the way. We did the Kazinga Channel bout cruise late in the day. We weren't expecting much, but boy were we wrong. The wildlife coming to drink in the late day is amazing, and the bird life beyond imagination. Don't miss this trip.

From there we went to the Gorilla Mist Lodge, a lovely establishment with impeccable service and great food. It is just mintutes from the ranger station where the O group, and few other groups of Gorillas are located. We successfully found and observed the O group, but it was a grueling 9 1/2 hours. I don't know if I am more excited that I saw there Gorillas or proud that I survived the trek.

The trip back to Kampala is a long drive as the road is under construction in many sections.

In all, I would highly recommend an adventure in Uganda. We did a safari in Tanzania a few ago, and while there are not the numbers of animals in Uganda, it is a different kind of experience, and just a worth it.

tennessee
Level Contributor
255 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Uganda Trip Feb 2013

Thanks for your post. Your trip is very similar to the one I will be taking in Feb. of 2014 and your choice of accommodation is also similar. Glad you had such a great time. It sounds like exactly what I am hoping for, although with a shorter a trek.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Uganda Trip Feb 2013

Nice report, thanks for taking time to post.

One polnt of order though for the sake of others reading, as I realise you know - only the adult rhinos (six) were gifted - the rest have been born at the Sanctuary! Which is a pretty successful outcome so far in under 5 years.

Edited: 1:52 am, February 23, 2013
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Uganda Trip Feb 2013

lovely report. Thanks for sharing:) We had a few minutes trek to our gorilla group last year and felt a little put out as we were looking forward to a hike!! 9 hours is a very long hike though - so I would be proud of that too!

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Uganda Trip Feb 2013

Good report and we are sure Wilbur will be happy when he reads it. Come hell or high water,the experience of visiting Uganda is expedient!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,462 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Uganda Trip Feb 2013

You mean Mary and Wilbur have not read it already?

Nice report Agent and thanks for sharing it. A great way to spend New Year..

Well done on the Gorilla trek. Something to be proud of and great memories.

Edited: 10:16 am, February 24, 2013
6. Re: Our Uganda Trip Feb 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 26, 2014