We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed on itinerary travelling with children in April

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
72 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed on itinerary travelling with children in April

Hello,

We have been travelling to a few places in Africa before and are now planning on travelling with our 3 children (the youngest turning 10 during the trip, 12 and 14) to Uganda in April. After the first night in Entebbe we will have 7 full days to travel around. Here are my initial thoughts - Please feel free to let me know if I try to cramp in too much in the itinerar- . Does Ngamba Island allow children? If so it may be the only opportunity for my youngest to see chimps. Kibale NP ( 2nights) - Queen Elizabeth NP (2 nights)- Bwindi NP (2 nights)- Lake Mburo (1night) and from there back to the airport for a late evening flight home. I assume the two eldest can visit the chimps. If the adults were to go in turns searching for the gorilla's is there a suitable alternative for the kids? Is there a tribe (pygmees other) that can visited with this itinerary ? Any other thoughts on itinerary: accommodation/ travel agent to recommend are very welcome too. Many thanks for your help.

Edited: 6:47 am, November 05, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Uganda
Uganda
Africa
Entebbe
Entebbe
Central Region, Uganda
Kibale National Park
Kibale National Park
Western Region, Uganda
Queen Elizabeth National Park
Queen Elizabeth National...
Western Region, Uganda
Bwindi Lodge
Bwindi Lodge
153 Reviews
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda
Lake Mburo National Park
Lake Mburo National Park
Western Region, Uganda
Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed on itinerary travelling with children in April

Hello artikids

You'll have to contact Ngamba island yourself to establsih that.UWA's website is down at the moment so I can't check the minimum age for chimp tracking, but I think it's 12... actually I do have the information here at home, I think, I have the UWA rates leaflet for this year somewhere.

I think it would be easier if you stated where your accommodation is, as the moment it's a bit vague. So Day 1... where etc... Day 2.. drive to ... ? etc

Lots of people do find the concept of a Batwa tribe visit rather an uncomfortable thing, but in some ways it generates income for that community... but you know you have to stop and wonder what are you really doing? It's a bit like NOT going to a township in South Africa to "gawp" at the way people live. Obviously everyone has their own opinion, but consider the message it sends to your children if you do think about going. It might be better if they relaxed at the lodge for a few hours - there's always loads to do wherever you go - village walk, or pool, or read! Your trip is fairly busy, so a break for them wouldn't be a bad thing.

Check AUTO (assoc of Ugandan tour ops) for people to contact for quotations.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
72 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed on itinerary travelling with children in April

Many thanks for the help Shelly. You are right about being concerned on the message by visiting the Batwa and there are pro's and co's . I am trying to give my kids also the message that Africa is not just about wildlife but also about meeting people that live completely differently than what they are used too. We took them to Ethiopia last year which was an eyeopener especially for them. I will contact some tour operators for options. I just fear that unless we do a completely different itinerary we have to wait two more years until she is 12 and can go tracking chimps together as leaving her all by herself in the lodge while we and her sisters go chimp tracking will not make her happy. Greetings and thanks a lot. Nicole

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed on itinerary travelling with children in April

No that I understand, and that's for you to weigh up - whether you all wait or not.

Are you going to share your day to day itinerary, as then we can comment and visualise how much time you are spending where and how long to get there.

Email Primate Lodge and ask them the question about your youngest.

Mentioned in this post
Primate Lodge Kibale
Primate Lodge Kibale
281 Reviews
Kibale National Park, Uganda
Kampala
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed on itinerary travelling with children in April

Hi artickids,

Children are allowed to visit Ngamba island at half price of the adult person.And about your itinerary,i advise you to change Kibale NP to Murchison falls NP because you would have already seen the chimps at Ngamba island.And this is how my itinerary would be:-Murchison falls NP ( 2nights) - Queen Elizabeth NP (2 nights)- Bwindi NP (2 nights)- Lake Mburo (1night) and from there back to the airport for a late evening flight home. And to those who won't track Gorillas can go for a village walk which is also very nice.

Mentioned in this post
Kibale National Park
Kibale National Park
Western Region, Uganda
Queen Elizabeth National Park
Queen Elizabeth National...
Western Region, Uganda
Bwindi Lodge
Bwindi Lodge
153 Reviews
Lake Mburo National Park
Lake Mburo National Park
Western Region, Uganda
Kasese
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed on itinerary travelling with children in April

hi i would advise you to contact U W A if they can allow children to see the chimps in ngamba island. contact number for U W A +256-414355000 / +256-414346291. am sure they will help you. it sounds good for your children to see the pygmees. but i want you to know this to see the pygmees in bwindi you have to walk along distance like 7 kms to see them. i would recommend kabale on lake bunyonyi their you can hire a moto boat and visit pygmees . some of these pygmees they understand english. you can sleep in bwindi one night the day of arrival and in the morning at 8;00am in the morning after trekking the gorillas you can have lunch and departure to lake bunyonyi for over night. in the morning break fast after break fast you can hire a moto boat and visit the pygmees. after the visit you have lunch after lunch you departure to lake mburo national park for over night. eary in the morning at 6;30am have morning game drive after game drive departure to entebbe end of the safari. wish you good luck.

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed on itinerary travelling with children in April

UWA is not in charge of Ngamba Island.

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed on itinerary travelling with children in April

UWA is just a trustee member of Ngamba island. The Sanctuary is managed by Chimpanzee Sanctuary and Wild life conservation Trust (CSWCT) and can be reached on +256 41 4320662 or +256 772 221 880

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed on itinerary travelling with children in April

I was at UWA today, and asked your question. 14 years for chimp tracking.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
72 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed on itinerary travelling with children in April

Many thanks to all of you for the very valuable help and advice. I highly appreciate it. It seems that two of my kids are too young for the chimp tracking too and that a week in Uganda is just to short to do thinks in alternation and leaving the kids behind in the lodge is not really an option (it's their vacation too) We have to plan Uganda for some other time when we can spend at least two weeks in Uganda. Thanks a lot to all of you.

Edited: 3:34 pm, November 13, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Uganda
Uganda
Africa
Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed on itinerary travelling with children in April

Don't give up yet artickids, there are various alternatives for the Kids for example you may choose to visit the source of the Nile where you can go for white water rafting-family float, quad biking-kids quads and then murchison falls for the launch cruise, visit to the top of the falls and game drives. In Bwindi and Kibale, the kids can go for the alternative Kids activities supervised by trained park staff while you go for the chimp and gorilla tracking. For Ngamba Island, the kids can be taken to have fun at the Uganda wildlife Education centre and the Botanical gardens while you go for the 11:00am or 2:30pm chimpanzee viewing which is a distance of 45-50min by speed boat and almost 2hrs by motorised canoe. Lake Mburo is also a great place for the kids to enjoy, plus a visit to Lake Bunyonyi for an opportunity to visit the Batwa(pygmies).

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Jinja Nile Resort
Jinja Nile Resort
165 Reviews
Jinja, Uganda
Bwindi Lodge
Bwindi Lodge
153 Reviews
Kibale National Park
Kibale National Park