We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta/KLM - problem boarding w/out visa in passport?

Delaware
Level Contributor
447 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Delta/KLM - problem boarding w/out visa in passport?

Anyone flown from the US on Delta through Netherlands to UG?

I've read the Ugandan embassy website and the info on Delta's website. It says "Visa required ; except for Holders of normal passports issued to nationals of USA can obtain a visa on arrival. Fee: USD 50"

So based on that plus what I've already read here I felt good but I just got an email from Delta saying a visa is required for our flight and we won't be able to board without it. I called and talked to an agent; she looked up what I already saw on their website and said we "SHOULD" be fine. I just don't like the word should. Is there any reason a gate agent would not interpret it correctly and we'd get screwed & not allowed to fly?

Is it worth peace of mind to go ahead and get a visa in advance?

Edited: 3:52 pm, October 16, 2012
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta/KLM - problem boarding w/out visa in passport?

Have a read at this thread. Delta do seem to be out on their own on this.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298044-i10055-k…

Delaware
Level Contributor
447 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta/KLM - problem boarding w/out visa in passport?

So annoying! Based on that one person's experience on that thread with the gate agent confused and the possibility that the website could not be accessed at the time - ugh - I'll probably pay the service fee and go ahead and get ours now just in case.

Thanks ponaire for that link.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta/KLM - problem boarding w/out visa in passport?

Leslie, You will be OK, honest.

1. Delta are only taking you as far as AMS so you don't have a problem there.

2. KLM fly you the rest of the way and they know the ropes.

Visas are readily available on demand at Immigration in Entebbe. There is a desk for such a purpose.

Delta really need to get their act together and talk to their Sky Team partners once in a while.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta/KLM - problem boarding w/out visa in passport?

Leslie, Did you get the visa ahead of time? DId you need to? Any problems? Delta is telling us the same thing and we are trying to decide if we will get the visa before leaving even though we know we can get it in the Entebbe airport.

Delaware
Level Contributor
447 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta/KLM - problem boarding w/out visa in passport?

I did get our visas ahead of time by sending our passports to the embassy. I just didn't want to take a chance with a Delta gate agent who didn't understand the situation. I should've asked at the airport when we left home just to see if they would've let us fly without one but I didn't think to.

The issue we did run into with Delta/KLM was our luggage was delayed on the way over which I think is not that rare. So make sure you have enough in your carry-on to get you through the first day or two just in case! If you check a bag that is. Maybe you're one of those professional packers who can manage with just carry-on. I aspire to that but haven't succeeded yet.

Have a wonderful trip :)

South Carolina
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta/KLM - problem boarding w/out visa in passport?

Thank you, Leslie.

7. Re: Delta/KLM - problem boarding w/out visa in passport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 04, 2014