We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone used African Secrets, Limited out of Kampala?

Wyoming
Level Contributor
434 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone used African Secrets, Limited out of Kampala?

I'm considering booking through them. So far, they seem very professional and highly responsive, and I am about to contact some former customers for feedback. Has anyone on TA used them?

SF
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone used African Secrets, Limited out of Kampala?

I am booked a 4-day gorilla trek in Bwindi with them on may 17, 2010. I'll post a review when i get back. so far I've had good responses via email

Mentioned in this post
Bwindi Lodge
Bwindi Lodge
157 Reviews
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda
SF
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone used African Secrets, Limited out of Kampala?

Got back from my 4 day gorilla trek in Bwindi and had the time of my life. African Secrets is a legitimate tour company providing excellent service. I was met at the airport by Haddy (whom I had been in contact with via email) and Godwin my driver. Godwin was excellent...soft-spoken but made sure everything was going OK for me. The 9 hour journey to Bwindi from the airport was a bit bumpy but Godwin warned me about that.

The Gorilla Resort was a nice eco friendly lodge. I had a large luxury tent with a toilet and bathtub (there are really no "resorts" so to speak in Bwindi). Electricity is minimal so they gave me a flashlight to use at night. Parts of the Gorilla Resort were still under construction (mainly the reception area) so everything was done in the dining area. i was the only guest there so it was a bit eerie and majestic at the same time, being tucked away in the forest right before the entrance to Bwindi Park. One of the highlights (besides seeing the gorillas) was taking a bath after the trek and sitting there looking out into the forest with the mist coming across the forest. The headquarters in Kampala also checked in with Godwin everyday to make sure i was doing OK. Another added bonus was that an additional activity after the gorilla trek was included in my tour (choice of a community walk, hike to the waterfalls, or a hike up the mountain for a scenic view of Uganda, Rwanda, and Democratic Republic of Congo) I did the community walk and the hike to the waterfalls, both were nice end to a day of gorilla trekking.

I would definitely use African Secrets again if I ever return to Uganda.

Mentioned in this post
Bwindi Lodge
Bwindi Lodge
157 Reviews
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda
Kampala
Kampala
Central Region, Uganda
Uganda
Uganda
Africa
New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone used African Secrets, Limited out of Kampala?

Just returned from Uganda where we did gorilla tracking.Where as I was very happy with Abacus Vacations the company we used,the couple that had traveled with African secrets had great praises for the company.

we stayed at Gorilla Forest Camp with this couple from Utah and no doubt you will be fine with this company.

Enjoy your trip and if you find abacus guide Sylver,pass our sincere regards.

The Michels from Bronx,NY

Mentioned in this post
Uganda
Uganda
Africa
Kibale Forest Camp
Kibale Forest Camp
204 Reviews
Kibale National Park, Uganda
4. Re: Has anyone used African Secrets, Limited out of Kampala?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:32 am, July 26, 2010
Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone used African Secrets, Limited out of Kampala?

Did you end up booking with this company? We are thinking of doing the 8 day trek with them?

Wrexham County...
Level Contributor
44 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone used African Secrets, Limited out of Kampala?

Please keep this post going, I am in the initial stages of planning a trip for 2011, and using this company, it is already crossing my mind on how safe it will be to pay in advance etc, so the more feedback I see on them the better. Looking to do the 7 or10 days Uganda/Rwanda tour next September.

Thanks Phil.

Mentioned in this post
Uganda
Uganda
Africa
London
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone used African Secrets, Limited out of Kampala?

African Secrets is a member of AUTO ( http://www.auto.or.ug/members.htm )

so they are a genuine company. You could try phoning their office to talk with them in person (instead of just relying on email correspondence).

8. Re: Has anyone used African Secrets, Limited out of Kampala?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:50 pm, October 24, 2010
Wrexham County...
Level Contributor
44 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone used African Secrets, Limited out of Kampala?

Please excuse my concern, just making some due diligence enquiries before parting with a considerable amount of money over the phone. You really need to look at other posts where people have been conned out of thousands of dollars...

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone used African Secrets, Limited out of Kampala?

Hi

we booked through african secrets for the safari we have just been on in Kenya - yes they are a genuine company. One thing I would say is make sure you confirm each step of the itinerary as they forgot to mention that 'a short drive from Maasai mara to amboseli is actually a 10 hour drive - 12 if you include the 2 hours the driver spent doing errands for patricia enroute.

The safari itself was brilliant but in addition to the above we also didn't get the evening game drive which was included in the itinerary and there was no one waiting for us at the airport and as you can imagine this was worrying having already paid nearly $2000 but after a few phone calls all was well and Justice the driver turned up.

I wouldn't recommend African secrets But

happy to answer any questions about transfer times to Masai mara, amboseli etc

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Maasai Mara National Reserve
Maasai Mara National...
Rift Valley Province, Kenya
;