We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for ideas for 2 week itinerary in Uganda!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for ideas for 2 week itinerary in Uganda!

Hi,

We're heading to Uganda in May for just over two weeks, and looking for some more inspiration on what would be your top tips and not to miss places to go.

We'll be visiting my boyfriends father who is teaching out there for a few days, and have also booked a gorilla safari in bwindi.

What would you recommend? We dont have loads to spend, so would probably want a mix of budget accomodation and the odd night in a 'treat' hotel.

Also, is hiring our own 4x4 a good idea, or more hassle than its worth?

Looking forward to your posts!

Thanks,

Danielle

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,637 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for ideas for 2 week itinerary in Uganda!

Plenty of places. ( I could spend a fortnight in Bwindi alone.) I would normally advise against self drive for several reasons but have just read a report on someone who did just that and it was full of good tips.

travellingbirder.com/birdwatching/birding_Ug… Follow that link and download the Pdf. Ignore the birding bits and read the rest. It makes good sense.

Having done that, is it just the Gorillas that interest you or all wildlife? As you have just two weeks minus time with father I would not try to see it all. You will spend too much time travelling.

If walking interests you, there are the Ruwenzoris and lots of other places to get out and see things.

Draw up a list of what interests you and come back here and I will do my best to point you to 'budget' places to stay in those areas. Ugandan Wildlife have simple Bandas in most places that don't break the bank. Check out my review of 'Trekkers Tavern' here.

Money well spent would be to buy "Bradt guide to Uganda" by Phillip Briggs and Andy Robert. It contains a mine of information of the type you require.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for ideas for 2 week itinerary in Uganda!

We're leaving in 6 days for our 2 week stay! So exciting!!! I think once you start looking into all the things you can do, you'll have trouble narrowing it down :)

If it helps, you can take a look at our itinerary here:

http://www.twistingvision.ca/africa

maybe it'll give you a few ideas. Good luck!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,637 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for ideas for 2 week itinerary in Uganda!

Hey Cvilleneuve. I thought you had been and gone til I looked at your itinerary.

Have a good trip and tell all when you get back. If I delay responding it will be cos I am heading out on 8th April.

Back to Danielle....

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for ideas for 2 week itinerary in Uganda!

wow cvilleneuve! that is brilliant, very organised!

i now want to do everything and go everywhere (even more!)

perfectly fine if you would rather not, but would you be able to share the rough prices you're paying for your different accomodation? No worries at all if not.

I have my Brady guide, but just findind it really hard to cut down the list if what to do! think i need an extensive weekend of research and make some decisions.

Thanks for the help so far both, i might be back with more questions!

Danielle

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,637 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for ideas for 2 week itinerary in Uganda!

Well you got step one out of the way.

Step 2. Ask to get the online updates to Bradt guide. Just EMail Andy or Phillip for this.

What to see and what to miss is harder and very subjective. I personally have never bothered to fling myself down the Nile at Jinja either on a bungee or in a raft. Murchison, Semliki and Kideapo NPs involve a lot of travelling so rule them out too although IF you had a few days more Murchison is a superb place.

So we are now looking at a tour west and south. Mburo, QE, and the Bwindi area. Take in Lake Bunyoni for a bit of relaxation and you have the bones of a ten day trip.

I can make suggestions re accommodation across the spectrum once you know where you are headed.

e.g. There is a great little place up in Bwindi called Trekkers Tavern for a completely different experience and it is on your route as above.

Chicago
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for ideas for 2 week itinerary in Uganda!

Ciao Dan,

For a perfect safari inquire with Atlas safaris www.atlassafarisuganda.com. they have tailored safaris which may fit your budget.

Thx

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for ideas for 2 week itinerary in Uganda!

Hi all,

We have been putting together our itinerary for our trip, and hoped we could get your thoughts? think we've got down to the things we really want to do, but your thoughts on whether we're being too ambitious with our journeys would be great.

so this is what we're thinking...

flying in, and heading to jinja for a couple of nights (boyfriend's dad).

then travelling from jinja to murchison falls np. we are planning on doing this over two days.

following a full day in murchison we head back down to kampala.

have a full day in kampala and then head to sesse islands for a day/night.

we're then being picked up from k'la and driven to bwindi.

after gorilla trecking we will head to QENP for a few days followed by a few days in Kibale NP. then back to kampala/entebbe before flying home.

ta da!

we are thinknig of hiring a 4x4 for the first week (jinja and murchison parts) and thn using public transport/private hire for the second leg (bwindi/QENP/kibale). do you think this works?

looking forward to your comments!!

Danielle

Chicago
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for ideas for 2 week itinerary in Uganda!

its not bad idea but it will be tiresome to travel by public means to Bwindi queen and Kibale. My advice is that if u havent booked gorilla permits and you want to go gorilla tracking its better you request on of the tour operators to do it for you.

Hiring a car will be usd 100 with a driver and no fuel.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,637 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for ideas for 2 week itinerary in Uganda!

Danielle. It looks good on paper but be advised that Jinja to Murchison will take the best part of a day. It is 7 hours from Kampala to the Paraa Ferry.

I am not clear on what you mean by two days. One full day in Murchison, two nights in the Lodge/camp will use up three to get Jinja-Murchison-Kampala.

Watch the Ferry times for Ssese Islands too or risk this taking another day.

Your Bwindi/QE trip is Ok but I would forget Public Transport. You need to get to the trail head for the trek depending on which group you are allocated. then you need to get to QE via Ishasha which is a four hour car drive over a not so good road. How will you do this and even if you do how are you going to enter the park to see the wildlife life?

From there how do you propose to get to Kanyanchu/Kibale?

Arrange for a car and driver who will take care of the navigation and all the Park Fees etc., for you as part of the package.

Kampala
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for ideas for 2 week itinerary in Uganda!

Danielle,

The ferry to sesse islands departs from the banks of Lake Victoria at 2pm-takes 3 hours to the islands. It then departs at 8am the following day. Therefore it may not be realistic to arrive in sesse island at 5pm then depart early morning the following day. Best to give yourselves an entire day at the islands then transfer back on day 3.