We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying to South Africa

crieff, perthshire...
Level Contributor
37 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
flying to South Africa

Hi all,

My family and I (hubby and 18yr old)are planning to fly to Jo`berg at the end of April for 10 days and drive to Swaziland to visit friends in Mbabane.

I could do with advice on several things.

Inoculations, cheapest and best car hire (a jeep rather than a car),

where to stay the night when we first arrive?

We are a bit nervous about the whole getting from a-b.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if you can think of anything else ive missed even better.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying to South Africa

Hi,

I think you should post this question at SA forum. Not sure which one is best for a jeep hire. Ensure your car hire have the documentations for border crossing to Swaziland. Mbabane have many B&B. How many days you plan to stay in Mbabane?

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: flying to South Africa

Julz

I usually fly from Joburg to Swaziland (Matsapha) and hire a car there, but that might be a pricey option for three of you.

Any car you hire in SA will have the necessary papers to take into Swaziland. The countries are part of one customs area, so this border is not a problem.

You won't need a 4x4 for this route or in Swaziland, unless you plan to get right out into the bush.

If you're driving, you'll be crossing at the Oshoek/Ngwenya border post which is open until 22h00. The last few tens of kilometres before the border are through highveld landscape where it can be misty and wet at the strangest times, so if you're at all nervous make sure you set off in time to complete it in daylight. That'lll mean leaving the airport in Joburg by no later than about 14h00.

There's a toll to be paid on the main road to Swaziland and overseas creditcards cannot be relied upon to work, so make sure you get Rand out of an ATM at the airport before you set out. I once jumped in a hire car and sped off because I was in a hurry to get to Oshoek by 22h00 and forgot to get local currency. I was turned back at the toll barrier and would have missed the border but for the kindness of a fellow motorist who gave me the few Rand that were required.

Good luck.

Other

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying to South Africa

Other,

Thank's for posting here. Glad you mentioned the Swazi airport. I had the impression the price is quite significant, so decided to rent in SA. How much was the fare? Which airline? How is the airport, shops rental ect?

BTW I visited your country many many years ago. Moduram, I think is the name of the mini city, still there? Had the chance to see the famous windmills, cheese flowers, and downtown Armsterdam.

Also would like to add, is best to have SA Rand over Emalangeni in Swaziland for a short stay. The rate are the same.

Thanks again other.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: flying to South Africa

As far as I am aware the only way to fly Joburg-Matsapha is with South African Airways (SAA). There have been other smaller operators in the past, but they've all been forced out of business one way or another (long story!).

In fairness to SAA though, they serve Matsapha well. There are +/- 5 flights a day, each with a capacity of +/- 30 passengers, so you generally travel in a small group which makes all the customs and other formalities very quick.

If you're flying to South Africa with SAA or another Star Alliance airline (www.staralliance.com/en/about/airlines/) you may get a good deal on the extra leg to Matsapha. You can check that out on the website of the airline you're flying with, or ask about it on TA's air travel forum (tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…).

Matsapha is a tiny airport. There is a shop (yes, if I remember correctly, just one) and desks for each of the main car hire companies (Hertz, Avis and Europcar last time I was there), but that's it.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: flying to South Africa

@boricua-one

Madurodam .. haven't been for years, but it had a "big" makeover recently.

http://www.madurodam.nl/en/

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying to South Africa

BTW, Thanks for the links, nice memories.

7. Re: flying to South Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 14, 2014