We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Payment in Khartoum

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
69 reviews
Save Topic
Payment in Khartoum

Hi,

I have to go to Khartoum and I heard that credit cards and bank cards are not available? Do I need to take a lot of cash with me to cover hotel and other expenses or will I be able to draw money from a bank machine?

Thanks in advance

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
245 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Payment in Khartoum

Yes, you have to bring enough cash to cover every expenses

Level Contributor
151 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Payment in Khartoum

There are also rules that apply to bills in many areas of Sudan, especially if traveling to the south. Bills must not have any visible damage (tears, marks, etc.) and they must be issued in certain years (current years). Check with that countries office in Washington DC.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
245 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Payment in Khartoum

USD notes are widely accepted in the South with the following condition.

no mark on your bank note, clean and stiff condition, year of the note is not before 2003.

In some places in Khartoum especially hotel they might except USD as a payment but at very bad rate. At the moment the exchange rates for USD$1.00 is SDG2.40

Woodinville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Payment in Khartoum

I agree.It is true in many developing countries.Also once you leave the city ,many places will not take visas or other currencies.They do not have places to exchange .Check your rate conversions online before visitng many places.

Once that is done,hiring a good guide is important.Unless you speak Arabic,it is hard to find English speaking guide or help on the street.Phrase books and simple words csn get through markets and hotels and so on.

Sudan has some challenges and avoide any political change over times like election or International news against Sudan on the front page.You will stand out.

Common sense and know the country's habits and history ,up dated infos can help you from disasters.S Sudan is full of different tribes and they have annimorsity toward Arab governed North .No logos on T shirt to identify you as ..,no expensive gears on backpacks ,no expensive jewerly on..Dress like local and they think you are NGO and will leave you alone.Woman alone is not a good idea here.

5. Re: Payment in Khartoum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, June 19, 2013