We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Khartoum

Amman
1 post
Save Topic
visiting Khartoum

Dear

I'm planning to visit Khartoum next month for around one week. My family will join; I have two kids 3 & 6 years old.

Please advice about good hotels and places to visit.

Is it easy to rent a car and drive in Khartoum or it's better to use public transportation?

Finally, I heard that Khartoum is expensive, but how expensive it is?

Thanks in advance

bee

Ile-de-France...
Level Contributor
878 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Khartoum

We were living in Ktm in 2000-2002, so my advises might be out of date.

There is nothing special to visit in ktm. About 300km from ktm, there are the wonderfull pyramids of Meroe. Don't miss it if you can. But when we were there, we needed a special permitt to get out from Ktm.

At that time, also, there was not car to rent, except car with drivers. Taxis are out of ages.

What could say those who already leave in Sudan ? Please, tell us about the country.

Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Khartoum

Dear Bee,

I would definitly recommend Al Salam Rotana Hotel. For your case (coming with family), they have interconnecting rooms available, great garden area and swimming pool also. Baby sitting service can be arranged upon request. Hotel contact is res.alsalam@rotana.com

To rent a car is not so complicated in Sudan, also here international driving licence is required. However driving here might be little bit crazy sometime, with no rules :) Like most of big African cities. The best is to hire car with driver (one of the Rent a Car companies is based in Al Salam Rotana Hotel).

Some say Khartoum is expensive, but I think you have to know where to go to shop. Still I found it less expensive than e.g. Nairobi.

Best regards,

Ile-de-France...
Level Contributor
878 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Khartoum

Andy,

would you have any photos to post about this hotel and the area around ?

I'm looking forward to see how Africa road where I was leaving 6 years ago is now!

Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting Khartoum

Dear Roger,

Do not have anything in hand at the moment, but since I am still in Khartoum, I can take some pictures of Africa Road for you :)

With regards to the hotel pictures, hotel web is www.rotana.com

Cheers!

5. Re: visiting Khartoum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, October 14, 2009