We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tarpon fishing at Sherbro Island

Surrey, England
6 posts
Tarpon fishing at Sherbro Island

All our Club members fishing at Sherbro pre-dated the start of the civil war in 1991. Then they caught Tarpon in the 200lb range.

I just wondered whether anyone had been there more recently. And, if so, any thoughts on techniques - whether livebaiting or trolling lures is more effective. Also, if lure fishing, what type of lures worked and their size and colour.

Kindest regards

Dave

Yorkshire
1 post
1. Re: Tarpon fishing at Sherbro Island

Hi,

my name is Brian Freestone and I have just returned from Sherbro Island where I ran a hotel lodge. Bonthe Holiday Village, Sherbro Island, Sierra Leone.

The tarpon are still there and fly fishing is very good. Over the past year 2 world record baracuda where caught as well as a record grouper.

I am no longer at the fishing lodge but you can contact Martyn Marriott on info@bontheholidayvillage.com

He is the owner of the lodge and can give you more information

Best regards

Brian Freestone

+44 7531441812

Surrey, England
6 posts
2. Re: Tarpon fishing at Sherbro Island

Hi Brian

And Many Thanks for your reply.

Our Club member did fish there earlier in the year and landed a big Jack Crevalle - 47lbs on 20 - potentially a World record. Unfortunately the leader, a necessary part of the IGFA's claim procedure was lost on the next strike - an even BIGGER Jack.

Tarpon-wise the fishing was disappointing. Locals were laying short long lines in the area the sports boats were fishing.

Kindest regards

Dave

3. Re: Tarpon fishing at Sherbro Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, October 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sierra Leone