We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dakar Airport

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dakar Airport

Does anyone know how strict the airport regulations are there? We are flying from Dakar to Lisbon to catch a cruise but Air Portugal tells me the I can only take 2 bags at 50lb and no more than 12lb carry on. This may sound like enough but when spending 7 days in Africa and 9 days on the cruise, I am not sure I can do it??? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Dakar, Senegal
Level Contributor
363 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dakar Airport

I fly out of Dakar airport all the time, and they are pretty strict with allowances...I am amazed that 50lbs is not enough, they do charge quite alot for excess baggage... the official guideline is 1% of the firstclass airfare per lb...

Also be aware that in both Dakar and Portugal, you have to carry that handluggage up the stairs from the tarmac, and if I'm correct the last time I landed in Air Portugal's Lisbon terminal we were parked some distance from the terminal and caught the bus..so that meant lots of steps.....carry 12lb of handluggage would be a battle....

As a frequent traveller I suggest you repack all your bags, and travel light, clothes that are easy care, cottons, and small makeup bag...give yourself room for the lovely things you will find...I bet more than half the clothes you pack you will never wear......

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dakar Airport

Thank you so much. I have rethought my packing a made major adjustments. All the information and suggestions are very, very helpful. Thanks!

Vila Velha, ES
Level Contributor
32 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dakar Airport

Hello

We fly into Dakar on 31 October 2006 and would like to know whether the arrival procedure (passports etc.) are hassle-free or do we have to expect something else. We are the first time in this region and would like to be prepared.

Thanks for your help

4. Re: Dakar Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 17, 2009