We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Own thing in Port

Carnoustie, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Own thing in Port

Hi

Going on a cruise and usually we like to be independent when we are ashore. The cruise goes to Dakar. Can any tell me details such as -

Is it easy to get from the ship into the town ?

Is it far to walk or are there local taxis etc ?

What should we not miss in this port?

Any other helpful suggestions would be much appreciated (such as nearest local market etc to the port)

Thanks

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Own thing in Port

I would say it's not particularly easy to walk anywhere from the port. There are a lot of options for day tours in the area, depending on how much time you have. I'm sure your ship offers tours, or look at Nouvelles Frontieres for ideas - they should customize whatever you want (consider putting together your own tour and then going on Cruise Critic to get others to join you to lower the price). I'm sure there are available taxis, but it helps if you speak French and agree on your payment before you go. Tour options: Isle of Goree, city tour (could include the local market), Ngor Island - farther out of town: Pink Lake, Fadiouth Island, Bandia Reserve...or spend a day at a local resort on the beach near the port, such as Terrou Bi.

Dakar, Senegal
Level Contributor
279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Own thing in Port

Greetings from Dakar, Senegal!

There are several people on cruises posting in this forum. Perhaps you could private message them and see if you are on the same ship?

Here is a link to 'Things to Do' from the Senegal section right here on TripAdvisor.com. These places/operators have been screened, rated and reviewed. This should give you some ideas for your stay.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g293831-Activiti…

I hope this helps!

3. Re: Own thing in Port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 02, 2015