We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Senegal/Dakar

England
5 posts
Save Topic
Senegal/Dakar

Hello,

i would like to learn about the culture of males from Senegal. I have a good friend here in Italy from Dakar, but he speaks no English and i donot speak African. By the way i am living in Italy.

senegal
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Senegal/Dakar

hello my friend

you are welcome to senegal the country of (teranga) i��m a brother from senegal my name is cheikh sadibou i'm student of arabic language in egypt i'm in cairo now . so any things you want know i can ask........... i'll try to answer you but my english is not very good too my e-mail is (galokho@yahoo.fr)

North Carolina
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Senegal/Dakar

I have been married to a gentleman from Dakar (West Africa) for 4 years. They are gentlemen!

Different parts of Africa have different tribal language. I think it's safe to say that he probably speaks Wolof as a tribal language. However most parts speak French as the official language. Have you tried speaking French to him?

There is also a free translation program on internet where you can translate English to French and French to English when written.

If he speaks Wolof, try http://www.wolofonline.com. It is a program that you may subscribe to learn Wolof.

Good luck!

Queens, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Senegal/Dakar

Hi MsMamadou,

I am a African American woman who is a month away from marrying a Senegalese man. We will be getting married in Dakar next month. You said that you have been married to your husband for the last four years. I am just interested in any wisdom you can depart to me . We are actually going to be living there in Senegal, while I finish my doctorate at the University of Cheikh Anta Diop, and then I think we will probably stay Africa even if we do not remain in Senegal in particular. You stated that your husband is a gentleman! I find that my soon to be husband is also . I guess that is part of the culture. I would like to keep in touch with you . Please respond ASAP.

Queens, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Senegal/Dakar

Hi MsMamadou,

I am a African American woman who is a month away from marrying a Senegalese man. We will be getting married in Dakar next month. You said that you have been married to your husband for the last four years. I am just interested in any wisdom you can depart to me . We are actually going to be living there in Senegal, while I finish my doctorate at the University of Cheikh Anta Diop, and then I think we will probably stay Africa even if we do not remain in Senegal in particular. You stated that your husband is a gentleman! I find that my soon to be husband is also . I guess that is part of the culture. I would like to keep in touch with you . Please respond ASAP.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Senegal/Dakar

Hello,

I have been married to my Senegalese husband for three years. I am African American and would love to help any woman who has questions about my experiences with my husband. My email address is senegallove@yahoo.com.

Queens, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Senegal/Dakar

I would love to correspond with all of you, on the issue of marriage and relationships in the cross cultural context. Like I stated before I am what you would consider African-American, and will be marrying a Senegalese man in at the end of April . I will be relocating there to complete a doctorate at University of Cheikh Anta Diop which is in Dakar. I am eager to learn more about the culture and just the expectations in marriage. This is the first marriage for both of us and so , as you know there are no books on how to make a marriage work. lol. I am so please to see sistah's from the US marrying brothers from the continent. My soon to be husband is such a gentleman and romantic ! I am really looking forward to life with him. And finally, I thought that men outside of the African American culture would not be sensitive to the issue of chivalry. He is much more chivalrous , romantic, polite etc.

Please offer all that you can

Tyrene

tampa
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Senegal/Dakar

I m senegalese leaving in Florida, My wife and I have been married for 9 years my e-mail address is dancarva@yahoo.com I will be happy to assist you understand the culture and the expectation from an African perspective.

senegal
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Senegal/Dakar

you welcom bro

i'm a senegalais too but i'm in egypt i'll contact you

coz i need your help. thank

my name is sadibou