We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Senegal vs Ghana for holiday?

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 posts
Save Topic
Senegal vs Ghana for holiday?

I want to travel to west Africa for ca 10 days during Easter . I am thinking Senegal or Ghana - any recommendations? It will be my first trip to that region, is it safe to travel around? I've been to Tanzania and Kenya before, how would it be to compare? Any other recommendations? My interests are culture, music, food, to meet local people, markets, beach... Thanks a lot!

Dakar, Senegal
Level Contributor
279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Senegal vs Ghana for holiday?

Hello and greetings from Senegal! Let me say that I have been to both countries with an eye towards doing business, not as a tourist BUT my overall impression of Gambia was, except for a couple of days worth of sights, Senegal (both Casamance & Dakar) were more developed and the infrastructure business wise, was more what I was used to. (I'm American).

There's also a lot of sex tourism now in Gambia that wasn't there before. If that's your thing, then you'll like Gambia. Not saying there's not men willing to 'play' with women on the prowl from Europe here in Senegal, but at least it's a bit less obvious.

Having said that and in the interest of full disclosure, I am a tour operator and also run a B&B (listed here on TripAdvisor #2 - SenegalStyle). I am looking at Gambia again though because it is an important site historically in the slave trade, particularly to the Americas. In fact, I would suggest, if you are travelling on a budget, that you fly into Gambia rather than Senegal as it's cheaper...

Spend a couple of days in Gambia and then travel overland to Senegal. I will be advising my guests who want to go to Gambia to schedule their journey this way as it's particularly cheap coming from London using Thomas Cook Travel to Gambia.

As you're an experienced traveller, you should have no problem negotiating this.

Feel free to email by private message if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

SenegalStyle

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Senegal vs Ghana for holiday?

Thank you very much for your quick response and recommendations! I will check flights to Gambia to go to Senegal. However, I meant Ghana not Gambia, as a destination. Do you know Ghana?

Dakar, Senegal
Level Contributor
279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Senegal vs Ghana for holiday?

I've lost my mind... and my glasses! haha! I didn't have my peepers on and as I was just comparing prices for Banjul/Dakar I had it on my mind! haha!

Oh well, it was a great answer huh?! lol!

SenegalStyle

Mbour
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Senegal vs Ghana for holiday?

Hello,

We are a local tour operator specializing in customised tours,private trips,cultural tours to Senegal.We have also some connections in Ghana.Senegal and Ghana are both safe countries for tourism and more developed than most of the other western African countries.You can travel according to your budget.There are various offers ranging from Vip tour,classical tour or budget trip.

Feel free to contact us for more information at:info@diallotours.com

http://www.diallotours.com

5. Re: Senegal vs Ghana for holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 10, 2012