We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goree Island Tour

1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Goree Island Tour

I tried to post the following review in the section on Ile de Goree, but the site told me it couldn't be posted because they don't publish reviews about tour guides. They invited me to share it here instead, which I'm doing now, in case anyone is on the fence about how best to go about visiting this important historical site:

When I went to Goree, I had already been in Dakar for a couple weeks, so I'd already experienced some of the aggressive selling and "hustling" mentioned in the other reviews. I'm an American woman traveling alone, and normally very independent, but I decided for Goree I rather go with a local guide I knew I could trust. I was staying at SenegalStyle B&B (listed here under B&Bs) so I asked the owner, Sineta, to arrange a tour for me with one of their guides. Bada, the tour guide, was familiar with the history, spoke excellent English (a plus because my French is very limited), and helped buffer me from some of the annoyances I've experienced when out alone in Dakar. I've also heard other tourists complain that Goree guides can actually interfere with their experience of the profound historical importance of Goree. Bada wasn't like that - he explained the history from his perspective as a Senegalese and as an African, and we chatted throughout the day, but he also let me remain totally present to what I was seeing, often in silence. I highly recommend going to Goree with one of the guides from SenegalStyle. Their number is 221 777 915 469.

Mentioned in this post
Dakar
Dakar
Dakar Region, Senegal
SenegalStyle Tours
SenegalStyle Tours
88 Reviews
Dakar, Senegal
1. Re: Goree Island Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 27, 2011
;