We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is dakar expensive

Cape Town, South...
2 posts
Save Topic
Is dakar expensive

how expensive is it as a city?ie food and genral living

Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Is dakar expensive

Firstly I am not American at all,I am British.I have been to Africa Kine in Harlem,but that's exitent my occupation with the USA.

Secondly St. Louis is being more than neglected,there is a total lack of care from government for one of the most historic cities in Africa.When I was there,was young volunteers do the only street cleaning on a Sunday afternoon.The buildings are covered with graffiti and the hotels are largely empty.

As for the currency it does not matter whether it was set to the dollar either.Its the policy that is wrong.The problem is the value is totally artificial,it fails to reflect the economic reality.If it was allowed to float freely it would immediately fall to a much lower value.Having such a highly overvalued currency makes the countries exports too expensive,discourages trade with the rest of non French Africa,discourages foreign investments in creating factories to give jobs young men and women.

I do not want Senegal families to have to rely on remittances to make ends meet.I want to see the country develop.But this will not happen with current situation

Also the French do dominate virtually every sector,there is a lack of true competition,which means higher prices.France does very well out of Senegal but Senegal does not do very well out of France.Too many of the French expats have a colonial mindset and a lack of respect for local people's talents.

22. Re: Is dakar expensive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 03, 2014