We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is dakar expensive

Cape Town Central...
2 posts
Save Topic
Is dakar expensive

how expensive is it as a city?ie food and genral living

Dakar, Senegal
Level Contributor
378 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is dakar expensive

Hi,

2 minutes walk from your Husband's hotel are plenty of great places to eat... Point Almadies..just beyond the new US Embassy is a great spot...From cheap and cheerful (Marie's with is floor of seashells) a wonderful brochette of Lotte with salad is just $3...another great spot in the same area is La Dionevar this is run by a French couple and offer an amazing 3 course lunch or dinner for $16, The recife, Meze, Point Almadies all fantastic places...My kids love the Crepe Place, where huge Nutella and Banana crepes are made before your eyes for $3...If he ventures out then he will enjoy a wonderful experience!

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
4 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is dakar expensive

Thanks so much for your intel! Much appreciated! Now I just need to get on an airplane. . . :-)

USA
7 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Is dakar expensive

Hi all! Is this chat still active?

Dakar, Senegal
Level Contributor
279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Is dakar expensive

I'm so sorry - I didn't see this post directed to me previously! I hope you haven't come and gone!

Actually $50 is 25,000cfa and yes, you could easily walk out the gate, turn to the right and follow the road to the end, to the ocean. Every evening there are lovely ladies there grilling fresh local fish and gambas and the food is EXCELLENT! You can sit outside, watch the sun set over the ocean and enjoy a great meal for about 15,000cfa for the two of you, including drinks.

There are also 3 restaurants on the other side of the parking lot, selling the same fresh fish, but more expensively! But they have other menu items as well as beer and alcohol. The ladies are muslim and I don't think they have beer there, just sodas, but I could be wrong on that point. It's not important, the main thing is YES, there are less expensive places to eat by King Fahd!

Hope I'm not too late!

USA
7 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Is dakar expensive

Can anyone give me a contact info for a trusted car rental company where I could rent an SUV and how much I should expect to pay daily for each the SUV and the driver? Even better if anyone would recommend a trusted driver whom they had hired before... Thanks in advance!

16. Re: Is dakar expensive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:41 am, January 25, 2013
USA
7 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Is dakar expensive

Hi there Sineta,

You seem to be very versed in what's really going on in Senegal and I will certainly email you soon. Thanks for your advice.

dakar
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Is dakar expensive

Hi, Ellecar, there is a place called POINT AND KILL, is a workable distance close to the hotel. Beers can be sold at $ 3 to $4 dollars. You will also meet some foreigners like you too and ask them other questions.

19. Re: Is dakar expensive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, October 16, 2014
Dakar, Senegal
Level Contributor
279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Is dakar expensive

This is an old thread and the subject (the poster's husband) has come and gone long ago, but I feel the need to respond to the charges that prices are artificially inflated because of France and they control the economy in Senegal.

As a long time resident (over 14 years), of American descent, I think I can offer a more accurate opinion than an American visitor that has come here twice.

#1 as in most tourist (and other) countries, there are two economies... regular people live by local standards, go to shops only residents would know about and buy their items at normal prices. Tourists, rich visitors from other countries (including other Africans, which makes up the majority of tourism by the way, here) and business people staying in luxury hotels get gouged. That's the way of the world - it's not unique to Senegal.

Americans are quick to blame France for the prices they see on their brief visits to Senegal because that is the only European power connected to this country since colonialism. Well sir, don't think I'm being rude, but that was a LONG TIME AGO. The Senegalese PEOPLE THEMSELVES have built up this country thru hard work and business acumen that left both the US and France on the sidelines during the previous 2 presidential administrations under President Wade. The cfa (Senegalese currency) has remained stable since it was DEVALUED by Presidet Abdou Diouf at the behest of France and the US 20 years ago - and most Senegalese lost a fortune because the value of their currency went down over night. Ask any older citizen of means what happened to their money in the 70's because then, as now, it's expensive compared to the USD. The Senegalese government at the time wanted to link the money to the Euro (which is not 'french' it's a trade zone currency) to make trading with potential European partners easier. It was a gutsy move actually and benefits both sides because there is stability in the rates.

Senegal does more business with Eurozone and other African countries than it does with the US. President Diouf, to his credit made the right decision (even though it got him put out of office, ultimately) because had he linked the currency rate with the USD, we'd be in free fall over here, like the United States, rather than moving forward untouched by the various economic and banking problems that have battered the middle and lower classes over there.

I could go on but I've got to get to work, but in a nutshell, consider these three things (and remember I'm American, but I have history here so I've seen exactly what happened).

#1 When I moved here the US dollar was strong. The rate was 750cfa to $1 usd. Under President Bush/Cheney the US dollar DROPPED to 480cfa to $usd.

The American banking system and stock market profiteers, along with an administration that gutted the budget surplus, started wars and outsourced every single service (that used to be done my solders, free) that could be outsourced (except soldier's lives) to private companies within the military industrial complex. Simply stated the elites in the US got greedier than at any other time in history, raped their own people, gutted the economy, closed factories and moved them to other places where labor was lower, pay virtually no taxes compared to their gross income and heaped on the debt burden billions of dollars in tax BREAKS BECAUSE the companies are now outside of the US.

Senegalese and their currency, which was stable at 655/1 euro thru out all this 'drama' have absolutely nothing to do with this. That is what it was back then, 20 plus years ago and that is what it is today. Nothing has changed except the value of the USD and what was allowed to happen there by the American people.

To further illustrate this,

#2 - I came here in 1999. I by a local brand of ketchup called Xtra, tastes like what I'm used to back home. We also have Bama mayonnaise (I'm from the South so I'm happy about that too). Anyway, Xtra ketchup cost me 600cfa in the market, (not chain stores), but in the regular markets that regular Senegalese people shop at. 600cfa back then in 1999. It STILL costs me 600cfa almost 15 years later. What does that mean? It means that in 1999 if you compared the price to the US dollar, 600cfa was less that one US dollar, because the rate, under President Bill Clinton was higher (750cfa to $1) so that ketchup at that time using US dollars as the rate, was 80¢. Now that the USD has been slowly drained of all value by the scenario I have already mentioned above, the rate was 480 to $1 and dipped lower, but we'll use 480 for now, the cost of that same bottle of ketchup that I STILL pay 600cfa for in the market, was $1.25. Today's price, when compared to the USD under President Obama the rate is 495cfa (but we normally round it up to 500cfa locally, giving USD holders a 'free' 5 cents to make the math easier!), so at 495cfa to $1usd, the price of that same ketchup, is $1.21.

Xtra Ketchup = 600cfa in 1999 but costs 80¢

Xtra Ketchup = 600cfa in 2006 but costs $1.25

Xtra Ketchup = 600cfa in 2013 but costs $1.21

and you are saying the FRENCH are controlling the Senegalese economy from Paris. You may have more education and degrees and such, I'm just a southern belle from Florida but sir, I hate to tell you this. Your assertions don't add up historically. The finger of blame should not be pointed at Senegal.

Here you can't loan a bankrupt millionaire billions of dollars the day after filing (like Donald Trump for example), You have to prove your net worth, be collateralized and show that whatever you are doing with the money, you will have the ability to pay it back.

That's just plain common sense and that's why they never had the banking crises (Africa in general for that matter), that the US, UK and some Scandinavian countries did. NEVER. Senegal kept building. Unfortunately now under the new regime, everyone is afraid to show their wealth and are keeping their money in their pockets. That's another story for another day but this story right here, the one you made up, is very inaccurate in my opinion and I'll go ahead and say in the opinion of the Senegalese people.

Nothing changed in Senegal (where you are blaming the French for manipulating the prices of consumer goods and the Senegalese for having the foresight to take the deal and stabilize their currency to an up and coming Eurozone power), what changed was the USD.

Which leads me to #3, repeating the last line of #2 - what changed was the USD and the US people who allowed the country to be gutted (and still do) until there will be nothing of value left to the 90% who have nothing but debt.

At least the Senegalese people OWN their own cars, houses, etc and don't pretend they do using complicated mortgage schemes and paying usury interest (which is forbidden in Islam). It's like we (Americans) get mad at them for having a sensible economic policy. Why? We should be learning from them rather than pointing a finger of blame for being LESS CORRUPT OVERALL than we are. We just don't want to admit that it's the corruption in OUR SYSTEM that led us down the path of economic destruction. The corruption that goes on here (pay a policeman $2 or whatever) is petty. US corruption has and is destroying the country but Americans don't want to look at it - they want to blame the rest of the world for their own inability to control their business and governmental leaders, who are actually one in the same...

That being said, you are right about St Louis and I have no idea why so many people get online and say how beautiful it is. I have budget priced tourism related businesses here for Anglophone travelers (search SenegalStyle on TripAdvisor.com) and my fellow Americans who contact me about visiting St Louis for 3days to a week never believe what I say - I live here, but they don't believe me. They prefer to believe what they read online from visitors who must be drunk and talking to each other in bars and that's why they have so much fun! lol!

With the exception of one week before the St Louis Jazz Festival, when they clean it up, the place is, as you have accurately stated, run down and getting trashier by the day, unfortunately. It's true and very sad. It's better to go to Joal if you want to see an interesting fishing village and look at colonial architecture here in Dakar and Rufisique.

ANYWAY, I hope you aren't offended by my response but see that there is a very good reason why Senegal is expensive for Americans, but it's not the fault of the French or the Senegalese, it's the fault of Americans, themselves.