We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone rental

Which Dakar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reading...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
cell phone rental

I will be in Senegal for couple of weeks in August and want to rent a mobile phone for the stay. Can anyone recommend how this can be best arranged? At the airport, for instance? Thanks in advance.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phone rental

I rented a phone for around 25 dollars for 6 days. I found out later that I could purchase my own for about 45 dollars. It would be best in my opinion to just purchase a new one there. All of your calls are made with phone cards if you were not aware.

Reading...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phone rental

thanks for the idea: but where can I buy a phone for $45 in Senegal?

Dakar, Senegal
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phone rental

Cell Phone Rental:

Actually, you can purchase a phone for between $25/$30 brand new, including a number and about $2 worth of credit!

ORANGE - 12,500 cfa for the basic phone (about $25)

EXPRESSO - 15,000 cfa again, basic phone (about $30)

SenegalStyle

SenegalStyle Bed & Breakfast

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phone rental

There are street vendors around Dakar all day and night. There should be no problem finding someone to sell you a phone for that amount in CFAs.

Dakar, Senegal
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phone rental

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear in my previous post! No need to go in back alleys to find people selling phones on the streets - the prices I was quoting you are from the telephone company here, Orange/Sonatel. Large modern, brightly lit offices located all over town! They even sell Blackberrys for about $450!

The cheapest from them is about $25, new in the box.

Hope this helps!

SenegalStyle

SenegalStyle Bed & Breakfast

Reading...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cell phone rental

thanks very much for the advice. I will look for the company you suggested to purchase a sim card for my unlocked phone.

7. Re: cell phone rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 14, 2010