We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should I do with 1 day in Kigali?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
What should I do with 1 day in Kigali?

I have 24 hours in Kigali open at the end of my upcoming trip to Africa. At the beginning, I'll be going to the genocide memorial, etc, and spending the day in town, so on the way back would you recommend Nyungwe National Park or Akagera National Park, taking into account that I've been on traditional safaris in the past. Also- Is there a big difference in price and distance from Kigali between the two?

Thanks!

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What should I do with 1 day in Kigali?

It will depend on your interest.

Nyungwe is

-About 6hrs,30mins drive from Kigali

-Has chimpanzees, black and white monkeys and golden monkeys, birds

-A canopy walk.

Where as Akagera National park is

-About 2hrs,30min drive from Kigali

-Has game viewing

-Boat trips on Ihema lake can view birds, crocodiles etc

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What should I do with 1 day in Kigali?

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize Nyungwe was so far away. I guess that means Akagera makes more sense. How does the game viewing there compare to that in other countries?

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What should I do with 1 day in Kigali?

Game viewing in Akagera park can not be compared to that of Serengeti park in Tanzania or Masai mara in Kenya where the experience is spectacular.

Expect to see Elephants, Buffalos, Zebras, different types of Antelopes and Giraffes

There are chances of seeing few leopards, hyenas and lions.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What should I do with 1 day in Kigali?

I've safaried in Botswana, South Africa and Tanzania, so is it closer to a Botswana or South Africa safari? Tanzania definitely had a huge amount of animals compared to either of those, but those were great experiences too.

Kigali, Rwanda
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: What should I do with 1 day in Kigali?

Hello!

If you want to Akagera National Park you should arrive there early in the morning to be able to see the animals you want, or you reach in the evening and go for the night game drive. But I personally prefer the morning coz u see many animals.

If you have time also try to visit the "art and handicraft route" that features the popular craft studios: Caplaki Handicraft Centre, Inema Arts Centre, Inema Arts Centre in Kacyiru, Ivuka Arts in Kacyiru, Yego Arts in Nyarutarama and Uburanga in Kimihurura. You could also visit the presidential museum in Kanombe.

Rgds

Damie

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What should I do with 1 day in Kigali?

Jbbw,

since you're already seen wildlife in those countries i think it would be better if you take part in another unique adventure of 1 day gorilla trek in Rwanda looks like it would be a better option.since this activity can be done within your time frame as a day Trip to volcanoes national park!!

Kigali
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What should I do with 1 day in Kigali?

If you are interested in birding we can take you around Kigali for a morning or afternoon bird watching inside and in vicinity of Kigali.

Copenhagen, Denmark
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What should I do with 1 day in Kigali?

Yeap Nyungwe is Better bcoz of Canopy,Akagera and Volcanoes it is you choice

Contact us we will help you and Visit us www.astepintonature.com

Email:cyujan2020@yahoo.fr or info@astepintonature.com

Cell:+250788838109

9. Re: What should I do with 1 day in Kigali?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 19, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Kigali