We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested itinerary, Rwanda, Tanzania

Shelburne, Vermont
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested itinerary, Rwanda, Tanzania

My son is working in Rwanda, and we were thinking of coming to visit him this summer. He may be able to get 1 week off from work to travel with us. We aren't sure whether we should fly him to Tanzania and go on one of the group tours offered there. There seem to be quite a few companies and they all appear to be moderately expensive. Any recommendations on spending 2 weeks in Africa that would be in this particular area? What are the best travel companies to look at? What might be the sights "not to be missed"? Thanks.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested itinerary, Rwanda, Tanzania

If your son has time to visit Tanzania, let him join you.

For Tour companies several have been recommend here.

Very few companies operate Tours in both Tanzania and Rwanda. I suggest you book the safari in two portions. Let the Rwanda part be handled by a local company and so should the Tanzania part.

There is a lot so see in Tanzania than Rwanda, so much of your time should be spend in Tanzania.

You can ask for help on the Tanzania part on Tanzania forum. Many experts will help you with the planning

Stone Town, Tanzania
Level Contributor
247 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested itinerary, Rwanda, Tanzania

Hi Barbara,

i have been to both Rwanda and Tanzania few months ago. I didnt use any tour operators to arrange me accomondation/ transport in Rwanda, as for Tanzanian part i used Shadows of Africa http://shadowsofafrica.com/ which organized safari for me. Shadows are also offering tailor made combination of Rwanda and Tanznaia together... , but i planned it on my own ( transport, visas, accomondation).....

You can check some posts on my blog, it is not regularly updated, but Tanzania is well covered.

http://www.travellingcorner.com/

Gitarama, Gitarama...
Level Contributor
39 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested itinerary, Rwanda, Tanzania

If you are coming out to Rwanda and you want to get a glimpse of life in the rural communities then try out an Azizi Life Experience. There is the standard day trip or we can organise a longer experience tailored to meet your individual interests. Check out the reviews on here. Azizi Life is based in Gitarama, which is an hour drive West of Kigali.

Sydney
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested itinerary, Rwanda, Tanzania

I am staying for 3 nights towards the end of August at Gorilla Mountain View Lodge and have 2 Gorilla permits. Can you advise do you definitely need boots for that area or are good walking shoes sufficient. On one of our charter flights 15kg is our total total luggage (including cameras) so can't take much footwear.

Alberta
Level Contributor
351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested itinerary, Rwanda, Tanzania

I had good Merrill walking shoes. We didn't take our hiking boots as we didn't want to lug them around and we were ok for the hikes. They got very muddy, but the ladies at the hotel cleaned them for us between hikes. We were limited with luggage for our flights from the Serengeti......luckily they never weighed our backpacks with the camera gear as it weighed significantly more than my small bag of clothes!

Enjoy your time with the gorillas it is an amazing experience!

Sydney
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested itinerary, Rwanda, Tanzania

Thanks for your reply. I had been planning on taking something similar.I know I will enjoy the trip - but the 'allowed' weight has been a worry

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested itinerary, Rwanda, Tanzania

I was in Rwanda in May and besides seeing the gorillas, I would highly recommend Nyungwe Forest. I had never heard of it before, but it's home to numerous endemic birds and 25% of primate species in all of Africa. You can read more about it here: monkeysandmountains.com/nyungwe-forest-rwand…

Sydney
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggested itinerary, Rwanda, Tanzania

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately we are very restricted with our time in Rwanda and will not have time to go to Nyungwe Forest. Sounds wonderful. I'm hoping to spend my birthday with the Gorillas. Thanks again

9. Re: Suggested itinerary, Rwanda, Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 25, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kigali