We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those who have done both the gorilla trek and...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,846 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
For those who have done both the gorilla trek and...

a Tanzania safari...

in what order did you do these segments? We were thinking to go to Rwanda first, but that will entail a travel time of almost 20 hours. Don't think we'd be up for a gorilla trek a day or two later.

So now we're considering doing the safari segment (about 10 days) first and then going on from, say, the Serengeti to Kigali and then doing the gorilla trek. This would bring us to Rwanda the last few days of February 2012.

Any advice?

Santa Barbara...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: For those who have done both the gorilla trek and...

I encourage you to do the safari and then the gorilla trek. The trek can be a bit more exhausting, so you might not want to do it immediately after days of travel. I also think the time you spend with the gorillas is more incredible, so I would want to save the best for last.

Tanzania and Rwanda are beautiful and interesting places to visit. There are many things to see and do in both countries. I encourage you to spend a few extra days in Rwanda before or after seeing the gorillas. Many people come for just 2 days after a safari in Kenya or Tanzania, and they don't have the time to explore the rich (and sobering) history of Rwanda. It is quite different from Tanzania, and worth experiencing.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: For those who have done both the gorilla trek and...

We did Rwanda first then Tanzania. Mainly because I was very nervous about the Gorilla trek (I am not very fit) and didn't want to have that worry hanging over my head during the safari. We had a long and exhausting trip too (from Australia) so deliberately left a few days between arrival and the Trek. We were fine by then.

And anyway, no matter what state of health/tiredness you are in, it will diminish into obscurity as soon as you spot your first beautiful, awesome gorilla.

Good luck and have a fantastic trip

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For those who have done both the gorilla trek and...

We did the Gorillas first, then Tanzania, mostly because of the difficulty getting permits. Your safari is a little easier to adjust as to where the game is on what days. You can only see the gorillas on the days you can buy the permits. Do you have a safari company? We used Africa Dream Safaris on all of our three trips to Tanzania. They were TERRIFIC, and a huge help in setting everything up.

I also know a pro photographer who is leading a trip to both places next spring, if you own a camera you would enjoy his trips, they are for photographers of all levels.

the photo trip info:

michaelfrancisphoto.com/photo_tours/Africa_2…

the safari company info : http://www.africadreamsafaris.com/

Have fun,

Edited: 2:16 pm, May 05, 2011
4. Re: For those who have done both the gorilla trek and...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, October 29, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Kigali