We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RE: permits for gorilla treks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,944 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
RE: permits for gorilla treks

Are we responsible for obtaining our own permits, or do tour operators do it? How soon in advance should they be purchased for, say, next February? Are these treks ever cancelled due to weather, and if so, what happens to the permit? Is it possible NOT to see gorillas, and thus be out the money for the permits? These issues are unclear to me from the research I've done so far.

Thanks for any help.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,657 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RE: permits for gorilla treks

Hi again Siouxxie

Cant answer all your questions but we have purcahsed our trek permits through our tour operator Bizzydanny. We sent him the money via Western Union -and he has sent us the receipts (by email) and will provide us the permits when we get to Kigali. You should purchase them asap - as they are apparently in short supply. Danny was very anxious for us to do this.

So far his responsivness to our questions and our pernickytness about accomdation etc has been impeccable.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,944 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RE: permits for gorilla treks

oh good to know that, nozzie. i'm trying to work with safari operators out of arusha for the Tanzania portion, but having trouble with anyone replying to my queries.

i read that they could also be gotten on the tourism website too. i'm just unclear of the procedures.

we need to get things nailed down BUT we're coming to your neck of the woods in October and i really have to give that the attention it deserves (tho we're doing pretty well with it)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RE: permits for gorilla treks

A rough guide to the Permits in practice.

You buy a permit. You are not allocated a specific group. (that happens on the day.)

You are asked to declare any illness or unfitness. If you do that you will get a 'cash' refund of 50-100%.

If you set out the permit is deemed used. If you cannot make it (rare) and "the Mountain beats you" as they quaintly put it you MAY get a 50% refund. If they notice symptoms of ill health you will be sent back down and get NO refund.

Success rate at meeting the Gorillas is extremely high. Somewhere in excess of 98%. However in the unlikely event that contact is not made you are normally given a 'free' priority relacement booking. An actual cash refund is not made.

Cancellation for adverse weather. I suppose it may happen but I have never heard of it. I have seen groups set off in the most apalling weather. (Happily that day there had been a mix up with my booking and I had been denied access and given a refund. Thank you thank you!)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,944 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RE: permits for gorilla treks

thanks again, mfuwe.

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: RE: permits for gorilla treks

Taking a bus tonight from Kampala to Kigali and would love to go track gorillas in Rwanda before I leave end June. I know it's not going to be easy, but does anyone know what I can do to get a permit at such late notice? Thanks!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RE: permits for gorilla treks

Try the ORTPN HQ at Ruhengire. they may have cancellations. Or ask bizzydanny to check for you.

Kampala
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: RE: permits for gorilla treks

Siouxxie,

You can purchase permits either from the ORTPN offices direct for February or you can use a local tour operator in East Africa. Rwanda Gorilla Permits get finished quickly and it will be better if you buy your permits now. Like Mfuwe put it, i have never also heard of any cancellation because of the weather, cancellations are only made if you as an individual ask for it and you have to give a good reason for it such as illness that you know may affect these shy primates (Gorillas).

Above all, better start to organize your safari early so as to secure the Permits. You can contact connect Hemisphere safaris in Uganda to organize for your trip and also book for you Permits. their contact is info@toursrwanda.com

wish you all the best.

8. Re: RE: permits for gorilla treks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, December 07, 2011
9. Re: RE: permits for gorilla treks

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, December 07, 2011
10. Re: RE: permits for gorilla treks

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:41 pm, June 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Kigali