We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gorilla-trekking seasons

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,098 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
gorilla-trekking seasons

We will be in Tanzania toward the end of February--the plan is to be ON safari on my "real" birthday on 29 February (it's a big deal to me)

However, it looks like that might already be rainy season in the area of the gorilla trekking? While i understand that no one can predict the weather, in general, how late in February is it still "ok" or advisable to do the gorilla trek?

and what is the level of exertion required for this trek?

thanks so much!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,648 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gorilla-trekking seasons

There are no real seasons on the Equator. Mountain weather is notoriously changeable year round. It comes in awesome big thunderstorms. You wear ponchos.

Oddly enough I have done most of my Gorilla treks, Uganda and Rwanda, in February. I think we had the odd shower but nothing we could not handle.

Gorillas don't like it either and make shelters.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,098 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gorilla-trekking seasons

thanks mfuwe! think they'd mind sharing their shelters? lol

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,648 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gorilla-trekking seasons

Well my lasting impression of old Amahoro was him staring out from a 'cave' in the hollow roots of a large tree at us poor mortals in the rain. He did not have a particularly inviting expression. Nobody tried to share.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,098 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gorilla-trekking seasons

lol

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
2,018 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gorilla-trekking seasons

Hmmm. Do those awesome big thunderstorms bring lots of lightning?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,648 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gorilla-trekking seasons

Yes. These are tropical storms in humid air driven up into mountains. The lightening is particularly awesome at night when the whole country gets lit up. Fantastic entertainment. Mother Nature at her most powerful best.

But don't worry. If in the forest the trees are much higher than you and will take any strike that make get close.

The "Big ones" usually come late afternoon when you are hopefully back in the Lodge.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
2,018 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gorilla-trekking seasons

Well, that's a relief! I lost a good friend to a lighting strike here in Arizona and didn't relish the thought of possibly having to dodge bolts on my May gorilla trek.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,648 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gorilla-trekking seasons

What a great shame about your friend. You will be fine in Rwanda I am certain because of the mountains and the Trees.

Would I be correct that your poor friend was out in the prairie/fields/desert and the highest point around? Just curious so don't feel obliged to say if still hurting.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
2,018 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gorilla-trekking seasons

There were many tall trees around, but my friend was sitting in a fairly open area when the storm (and lightning) struck. Where I live, we lose people yearly to lightning during what we refer to as our "monsoon" season. I knew there could be rain during my upcoming gorilla trek, but it's good to know that lightning may also occur. I'll review the rules on what to do in such a storm.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,648 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gorilla-trekking seasons

Don't worry. It may not even rain. It might, but equally it might not.

and relax. The Gorillas don't get struck by lightening so why should you?

Have a great trip and tell us how it went when you get back.

Get answers to your questions about Kigali