We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reunion vs. Mauritius

SE Pa
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Topic
Reunion vs. Mauritius

Why is it that Mauritius has 8000 posts and Reunion only 160? Are the beaches that much nicer in Mauritius?

I would like to go to both later this year, will i have difficulty if Im not fluent in French?

I will be hiking and camping. Is hitching rides a good way to get around? What about buses?

Is food and drink expensive compared to US?

Saint-Denis...
Level Contributor
223 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reunion vs. Mauritius

I think the main reason that there are more posts about Mauritius than Réunion is that Reunion is fairly unknown to non-French speakers so it doesn't cross most people's minds to visit Réunion. Also most people in colder climates want a beach holiday if they fly to an Indian Ocean Island (cf. your own comment "Are the beaches that much nicer in Mauritius?") and while Mauritius is more or less ringed by beaches, Reunion only has about 30km of beach out of 200km of coastline. Reunion is more of an adventure holiday destination - hiking, canyoning, paragliding etc. Reunion is slightly larger and is less populated than Mauritius, and there's more of an ethnic (and religious) mix. Mauritius has better service and more fancy hotels.

Information not in French can be difficult to come by before you travel to Reunion (although the tourist board website is translated into English and other languages) but once you're in Reunion you should get by alright.

If I was you I'd prefer buses to most places - hitching in any country in the world can be dangerous, although not more so in Réunion than anywhere else. There will be some places (e.g. the volcano) where the buses won't take you, so you'd have to rely on hitching.

For info about prices see this previous post: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293826-i10415-k45…

SE Pa
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reunion vs. Mauritius

thanks champac. thats about what i figured on all accounts. 30km is more than enough beach for me. I will struggle but manage the language barrier, and the food isn't too much concern since i will be cooking soups and freeze dried meals. The big unknown is usually the hitching. when in the Faroes, i hardly had a car that wouldn't stop, whereas in the Azores, I barely had a car that did! And Im certainly not concerned about danger.

Mauritius
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reunion vs. Mauritius

Easy, Reunion for mountains, hiking, views,

Mauritius for the amazing beaches and people being bilingual (french & English)

4. Re: Reunion vs. Mauritius

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 05, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Reunion Island