We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting married in Nigeria

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Getting married in Nigeria

Does anyone know what paperwork is required for a registery office ceremony in Nigeria? We are due to get married in the UK in feb but for cost & practical reasons (and for something a little different) we would now really like to get married next month when we go to Benin to meet his family. If it matters i am an Irish citizen, he is Nigerian & we both live here in Spain.

Any information would be much appreciated as it is very difficult to find

Lagos
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting married in Nigeria

You need your passport/identification, birth certificate/age declaration,state/local govt of origin, passport photos and you need to file in those things a few days(with tips)/weeks(without tips) for "approval" for your certificate to be made, Oh! and ofcourse the fees and whatever "tips". I don't know how the procedure will be for a non-Nigerian. Note,this was what I had to file in a few yrs ago so maybe the procedure has been changed again.

I think you can get more information from the Nigerian embassy about the requirements of a non citizen before you leave for Nigeria

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting married in Nigeria

Thanks for the information. I have emailed both the Irish embassy in Nigeria & the NIgerian Embassy here in Spain but am getting no response!

All that paperwork you have listed is easy enough to get so hopefully that is all as i really want to do this!

brisbane
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting married in Nigeria

hi, I am interested in knowing what requirements you had to go through to marry in nigeria? How did you go and was it all you had hoped for. I am travelling there to marry in September and cant find any help anywhere! Thanks for your help..I am an australian

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting married in Nigeria

Hi. My husband arranged most of it before i went over (he went over before me). i think he had to bring passport photos of me into the registery office, he also had to complete a form & register our interest to marry. I think i was also meant to have been in the country for a few more weeks before the marriage than i was but as with everything else in Nigeria you can pay to get around that. I think he also had to take my passport to the office when i arrived.

On my wedding day iw ore traditional nigerian dress, i was the only one as all the other brides wore long white dresses!!!! But im glad i got married there as it makes my wedding pictures look much more Interesting!!

brisbane
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting married in Nigeria

Thanks for your reply...it all sounds like you had a great day and the traditional dress was probably very beautiful....I have been getting very negative response about travelling to Lagos by myself, but knowing my friend so well, I am sure it will be fine. So Nigerian husband is good idea? LOL?

thanks once again...

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting married in Nigeria

Nigerian husband same as any other husband - there are good guys and bad guys everywhere, you just have to find the one who is right for you. Cultural differences will always occur in intercountry marriages (eg people will say nigeria is more of a MCP place but I have always found the women to be very emancipated/formidable/powerful etc) You just have to iron these out between you. As this is a travel forum, the benefit of marrying a nigerian is that it opens this country up to you for a different travel experience :)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting married in Nigeria

Bluebluebrisbane - Have you met the guy you are going there too marry yet?? If not please be very careful! As much as i love my husband & his family & friends, a large portion of Nigerian people eat, breathe & sleep money & ways of making it! As i have pointed out previously, Nigeria is not really a country to go to by yourself if you dont know the person you are going to meet, be very very careful!!

If you do go ahead with it, i got the tailor to come out 2 days before the wedding to measure me then got the material at the market & within 1 day i had a beautiful, unique dress!

I definitely advise anyone thinking of marrying a Nigerian to go to their country first, that way you will understand their culture much better. Being married to a Nigerian can be hard work but so far its worth any hassle!!

Planet Earth
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting married in Nigeria

Aqualog, we have to attend a "counselling" session as a pre-requisite for getting married. I asked a friend about this and she laughed, said that the person who did it when she went cracked jokes, said lots of stuff that went over their heads and took a collection afterwards. I'm practising my best blank expression for the occasion!

Congratulations craftynick, glad to know that I'm not the only one who chose not to wear white on the day :)

brisbane
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting married in Nigeria

Hi, thanks very much for your replies so far....

I have a copy of his passport...his degree from Lagos University...his bank account....his references from the schools he has taught PE at...and also from the hotel he is presently working at as a Gym Supervisor...

Dont know what else to do...we speak almost every day for the past 2 years..could it all be just a way to get out of Nigeria one day? I would be devastated if it was....

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting married in Nigeria

unfortunately all of the documents you list are very easy to obtain or forge. As this is an internet 'romance' you must err more towards caution. If this is an equal relationship and you havent sent money, there are lots of countries that are safer/more tourist orientated that a nigerian passport holder can get visas to easier than yours eg Ghana, South Africa, Kenya, Dubai, Gambia. Maybe it would be an idea for you both to meet up in one of these neutral zones (and dont pay for HIS travel), have a nice holiday and see if you get on. I would suggest this for any person you have never met not just a nigerian. It may be genuine or maybe some form of money/visa scam but you will be more at risk in Lagos definately.