We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in niamey update?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
safety in niamey update?

I am traveling to niamey for work, anyone have any updates on safety since the January murders?

8 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: safety in niamey update?

I've blogged about safety issues in the Sahel at http://theroughguidetowestafrica.blogspot.com

I can't offer any on-the-ground insights beyond that (I'm in the UK), but if you follow some of the links on that post you'll get further opinions – especially on the Routard forum.

Have a great trip – needless to say, people are almost invariably friendly and hospitable. Incidents like the January kidnapping are *exceptionally* rare.

Richard

ld
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: safety in niamey update?

Hi , read my recemt post on my experience in Niger. The kidnnaping was in my view a very very unfortunate accident. Of course you have always and anywhere to be careful but really Niamey is safe and people very friendly, calm, no arms, no dirty looks, very nice really. avoid going out at night, as maybe the risk of sth happening is higher anywhere, but you;re not gonna have to lock yourself in. Enjoy the country, go see the girrafe in Koure !

Saline, Michigan
Level Contributor
21 posts
141 reviews
3. Re: safety in niamey update?

I was in Niamey for two days in February 2011. Security and safety was not an issue. Enjoy your time there.

Aurora, Colorado
1 post
2 reviews
4. Re: safety in niamey update?

How was your trip to Niger? We are planning a trip in Dec. and can't seem to get updated info. anywhere.

Thanks!

santa fe, new mexico
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: safety in niamey update?

I have not been to Niger in recent years; however, I can say without exaggeration that Niger is one of the most interesting countries that I have ever visited.

My favorite town was Agadez. It makes Timbuktu look like a dull metropolis by comparison. Rent the marvelous Bertolucci film, "The Sheltering Sky," if you want to see what it looks like. It's just a magical place with a vibrant music scene.

The tribal people are friendly and incredible looking. If you are attracted to all things "exotic," you will be enchanted with Niger---in spite of its recent troubles.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: safety in niamey update?

I didn't run into any issues and had a good stay, but that being said I was working with an organization that had me under a 7 pm curfew and required that I stay within the city limits of Niamey. They also required that I always travel with the driver. So I'm probably not the best person to ask. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Have a wonderful trip!

Villupuram
1 post
1 review
7. Re: safety in niamey update?

hi I have a job contract for an year in niamey, Please advice me is the place really good to stay and work.

Winnipeg, Canada
1 post
8. Re: safety in niamey update?

Going to Niamey in 3 weeks. Looking for a good hotel, but not a flash one as these are generally targeted. Any advice?

Reply to: safety in niamey update?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Niger