We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for a Drive from Cape Town to NamibRand Reserve

Alexandria, Virginia
2 posts
Save Topic
Tips for a Drive from Cape Town to NamibRand Reserve

My wife and I are planning a trip to South Africa and Namibia, part of which includes a drive from Cape Town to Wolwedans Dune Lodge in the NamibRand Reserve on January 2-3, 2013. We are trying to figure out the best spot to overnight and are debating between Noordoewer or Rosh Pinah. We prefer Rosh Pinah because we would like to take our time on the road from there to Wolwedans because we hear it is gorgeous so the farther we can get on day 1, the better. Is Cape Town to Rosh Pinah driveable in a single day? We are willing to get up and leave Cape Town pretty early and it looks like we would need to. Are there long lines at the border crossing into Namibia? Any tips on routes and points of interest between Cape Town and Wolwedans are greatly appreciated.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for a Drive from Cape Town to NamibRand Reserve

Do you know what vehicle you will be driving? The C13 which runs along the Orange River from Nooerdoewer to Rosh Pinah is a really pretty drive. It is also however a really dreadful piece of road which has the dubious honour of being the only piece of road in Africa to ever bring me to tears. You simply cannot do it in a sedan car, so if that is what you are driving then don,t take that road. Even in a Bakkie it is slow going as the road is most of the time in a dreadful state. Cape Town to Rosh Pinah is really a loooong way. I have taken that road twice, once in the sedan it took us 13 hours to get from Nooerdoewer to Sesriem. Luckily we had tyre repair kits as we had to repair the spare twice. The second we also did three tyres in the 4x4.

I have to be honest and say I have not driven it is a few years now, but it was closed a large part of rainy season last year......so I cannot imagine it is in good condition.

There are rarely massive queues at the border crossing, You might wait a short time if there is a coach in but normally it is a quick, painless affair.

If you have the right vehicle and a healthy amount of spare tyres you will be ok, but it is by no means a short cut! Wolwedans is stunning, you will love it!

2. Re: Tips for a Drive from Cape Town to NamibRand Reserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:42 pm, June 19, 2013