We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Remhoogte Pass vs Spreetshoogte Pass to Sesriem

Sion, Switzerland
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Remhoogte Pass vs Spreetshoogte Pass to Sesriem

Hi

Honest opinions, which is the nicer drive from Windhoek to Sesriem.

Also heard that Remhoogte can be sometimes closed april may due to too much water?

Thanks

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Remhoogte Pass vs Spreetshoogte Pass to Sesriem

Herman, yes up and down, most of the pass is paved now, so no problem, i have seen people doing it in a sedan also.

Vermont
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Remhoogte Pass vs Spreetshoogte Pass to Sesriem

I'm assuming from the comments that Spreetshoogte can't be done in a 2WD? I'm going to Namibia later this month (June) and renting a small-sized 2WD. If not, suggestions on an alternate route?

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Remhoogte Pass vs Spreetshoogte Pass to Sesriem

I've just driven the Spreetshoogte Pass 4 weeks ago, it's nearly all paved and it shouldn't be a problem to drive the pass up or down with a normal sedan vehicle. Just take it slowly and enjoy the views.

Clive - Suricate Safaris Namibia

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Remhoogte Pass vs Spreetshoogte Pass to Sesriem

I agree. We did this Pass last trip, 2011. We were staying nearby (Barchandunes) and went up and down the pass on one evening cruise out just to see what was around. It was no big deal at all.

We did have a 4x4 but saw no reason that a 2wd saloon would not cope. Good brakes or stay in low gear coming down. No automatic gears.

Johannesburg, South...
3 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Remhoogte Pass vs Spreetshoogte Pass to Sesriem

Herman,

We did it down and up in a Nissan Micra on a dry day. Stunning views.

Sean

Centurion

Johannesburg, South...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Remhoogte Pass vs Spreetshoogte Pass to Sesriem

Hi,

Is Spreetshoogte Pass good for 2x2 in both directions.

Tks.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Remhoogte Pass vs Spreetshoogte Pass to Sesriem

Yes. The corners and steeper sections are made up in concrete so traction is maintained.

Coming down, keep in low gears to allow the engine to brake for you.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Remhoogte Pass vs Spreetshoogte Pass to Sesriem

I would not let the pass specifically be the deciding factor but rather how it affects the rest of your route. For example if coming from Windhoek to Sossusvlei and then to Swakop, I would suggest Remhoogte. This way you get to see more further south.

To avoid both passes, on route to Sossus, you could go my old favorite route which would be via Rietoog and Bullsport.

Please respect the no-off road driving signboards when travelling around Namibia.

Chris Liebenberg - owner - Piper & Heath Travel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Remhoogte Pass vs Spreetshoogte Pass to Sesriem

No 4x4 is needed for either of the routes, both are feasible with an ordinary saloon. The only time you ever need 4x4 anywhere on the beaten track in Namibia is to do the last stretch to Sossusvlei beyond the car park (but even that is easily doable with 2wd having some skill and experience).

20. Re: Remhoogte Pass vs Spreetshoogte Pass to Sesriem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 08, 2014