We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip to Namibia and Botswana

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Planning trip to Namibia and Botswana

Hi all.

Am planning on a family ( self, wife, 2 kids 14,17) trip to Namibia and Botswana in June/July for 2 weeks.

Main interest is in safaris and game drives.

Have been advised by south african friends to spend more time in one place rather than travelling around a lot.

Am also an avid photographer so looking forward to the photo opportunities in Africa.

Happy to drive but unsure of taking family along.

Also unsure of the best way to get from Etosha to Okavango delta.

So currently thinking of a simple itinerary:

Brisbane to Windhoek via Joburg.

Drive to Etosha.

Stay inside the reserve in one campsite

Travel to Okavango delta

Stay in one camp and do day trips

Fly back to Jo burg from Maun.

Any advice, comments would be welcome.

Specifically help on travel between Etosha and Okavango and feasibility of driving in africa with family.

Cheers

AK

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Lark Journeys
Multi-day Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Wild Wind Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Chameleon Safaris Namibia - Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning trip to Namibia and Botswana

Driving in Namibia is quite simple. No worries, even with family. Rent a car and do it yourself. I did it this past march with 2 daughters age 9 and 11- first time in Namibia. Very easy.

I cannot comment on the drive from Etosha to the delta. Others will be able to help you. If it were me, I would stay in 2 different camps in Etosha. I would start at Dolomite because it is on the western side of the park. People are not allowed on that side of the park unless they are staying at Dolomite and it only has about 15 tents, so that side of the park is very isolated and uninhabited. Then drive across Etosha and and stay at Halali or Okaukuejo. Floodlit waterhole and larger camp. Different experience than Dolomite.

You will need a stay over between Windhoek and Etosha. Then 2-3 nights Dolomite and 2-3 nights Halali (or the like) followed by a couple days travel to the Delta. Then about 5-6 nights on the delta (one or 2 camps) before coming home.

One option you might consider (although I don't know much about it) is flying to Frankfurt and then direct to Windhoek on Air Namibia. May save some money and an overnight in Johannesburg. One extra night in country.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning trip to Namibia and Botswana

Thanks for the advice.

Was under the impression the drive to Etosha could be done in a day. Do the flights land later in the day in Windhoek?

Will look into the frankfurt option as well.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning trip to Namibia and Botswana

Yes, you can drive to Etosha, but don't forget the jetlag effect.

And there is a lot more to Namibia than Etosha, superb though it is.

Personally, I would not combine the two. Do one or the other..

Have you read the Bradt Guides to Namibia and Botswana, both written by Chris McIntyre? Both will be assets in planning your trip.

Also, I suggest you make us of a local agent, many of whom post on here.

Mentioned in this post
Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
2 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning trip to Namibia and Botswana

If you are an avid photographer I would highly recommend a trip to sossusvlei for at least two nights .

5. Re: Planning trip to Namibia and Botswana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 pm, January 06, 2013
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning trip to Namibia and Botswana

Hi Namvisafaris,

Thanks for trying to help Karniks but the last sections of your 2 recent posts are bordering on self promotion.

Please don't take it personally and I'm sure you are much more knowledgeable about Namibia than I can ever dream to be but I wonder what others feel.

I respect the fact that this forum is not blighted by some other TA forums with agents vying for business. One just has to look into some of the India forums.

Apologies to Karniks for going off topic.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning trip to Namibia and Botswana

@ supratik, yes you are right and my apologies, just trying to help.

but thanks

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning trip to Namibia and Botswana

@ namvicksafaris: No problem at all. I'm sure we would benefit from your future contributions.

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning trip to Namibia and Botswana

Will source and read the guide books.

Thanks for the tip re doing only one at a time. That is under consideration as well.

Thanks for your help

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning trip to Namibia and Botswana

Valmiksoni....thanks for the tip. Will look into it.

Cheers