We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa overstay

Windhoek, Namibia
1 post
Save Topic
Visa overstay


I am an American and have overstayed my tourist visa in Namibia by about a month now. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this and what they did? I would like to continue staying in Namibia as I'm here with my boyfriend who is Namibian. I also have a job possibility with a company willing to sponsor me but I'm guessing there's no way I can get a work permit with an expired visa. I know in South Africa if you overstay it's usually just a fine you have to pay but haven't been able to find any information about Namibia. I have also heard of people "losing" their passports in order to get around overstayed visas - any thoughts on if that would work here? I would really appreciate any advice anyone has.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa overstay

I don't think anyone on this forum is going to provide you help and advice for how to illegally stay in Namibia!!!

If you have overstayed your visa then you will not be granted a work permit as you are illegal in the country.

My advice to you is not to try and trick or cheat the immigration system.

People doing this kind of thing is exactly why it has become so difficult for genuine folk, who are not overstaying or residing illegally to obtain work permits, and has vastly increased the number of hoops which you are made to jump through in order to attempt to obtain one.

I know people who have got away with just a fine in South Africa...but then I also know of people that have been fined and deported, same goes for Namibia. A friend of my husband was deported from Namibia a couple of years back for overstaying on a work visa...they deported her with 3 days notice and she was married to a Namibian. She had to go and sit back in her home country for a few months until they got their ducks in a row and paperwork sorted out. So basically what I am trying to say is that they take a very dim view of this sort of thing.

The best thing you can do is to leave the country of your own accord maybe incurring a fine, and once back home have the company you want to work for apply for a work visa. Maybe you are lucky and they will grant it, but if you continue to reside illegally you are going to make it extremely difficult for yourself.

I often used to get stopped at police roadblocks coming out of Windhoek and sometimes they have Home Affairs officers there checking permits and visas.

Losing your passport is not an option. They will simply tell you to get emergency travel documents and remove you to your country of origin.

Home Affairs may be pretty slow at processing paperwork etc, but they are a lot more on the ball than you seem to think when it comes to stuff like this.

Windhoek, Windhoek...
Level Contributor
47 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa overstay

Hallo Sara,

Like Gemma say, go the right route.

We have had a few cases with tourist overstaying there visas, (although normally only with a few days). I suggest you contact HA as soon as possible. To get a normal tourist visa extended is not such a huge thing and normally they are quite lenient with this if you can provide proof that you are self sufficient and not working here. You can also ask the American Embassy to assist you with applying for this. Or contact TASA info@tasa.na (but they closed until 7th) TASA can assist with extension on tourist visas but not work visas (except if tourism related).

With regards to the work visa, once you are legally in the country you can apply for a 3 / 6 /12 months visa. There is strict requirements for this and you have to submit a lot of supporting documents as well. HA is very strict on overstaying work visas.

But for both HA is not unreasonable just get all the info and make sure to supply supporting documents.

Good luck,


3. Re: Visa overstay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, December 07, 2013
Somerset West...
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa overstay

I agree with all the replies. Best option is to conract a legit immigration agency and get professional advise and do it the correct way. The loads of paperwork is there for a reason, bare with it.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa overstay

This forum isn't the place to settle illegal status and illegal activity. Call a real agency, attorney or embassy. Don't rely on trip Advisor to be your legal counsel.

6. Re: Visa overstay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 09, 2014