We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

roof top tent,how long does it take to disassemble?

loomis ca
Level Contributor
132 posts
435 reviews
Save Topic
roof top tent,how long does it take to disassemble?

We have always taken a traditional tent,rolled out of our sleeping bags, and started our game drives. This time, we are considering hiring a vehicle with a roof top tent, but are concerned it will take too long and be somewhat inconvenient removing bedding.

We would appreciate opinions from those who have done both.

Thank you

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: roof top tent,how long does it take to disassemble?

Two scenarios. I am reading into your first sentence that you are leaving the sleeping bag and Tent in situ and returning to the same place after your game drive?

In that case there is no competition. That is by far the quickest, and it stops other selfish people taking your spot. (It happens)

If moving on to another site then there is not much in it between taking down and packing away a tent and a roof top. You have to stow all the associated clutter for either Camp anyway.

Windhoek, Windhoek...
Level Contributor
47 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: roof top tent,how long does it take to disassemble?

Hi,

Although much quicker,bedding you can leave in the rooftop tent when folding up. It is really a big schlepp to pack up every time you want to do a game drive, since you have to pack up everything where you could normally leave stuff in your tent and as said above don't lose your camping spot.

Enjoy Namibia (again) there is now a lot of new camping areas in Grootberg etc which is great with individual facilities.

Marie - APS

Florida
Level Contributor
260 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: roof top tent,how long does it take to disassemble?

We preferred a rooftop tent for our first self-drive safari. Just knowing that I would be off the ground gave me some safety and peace, even though I came practically face-to-face with an elephant at 3:30 AM in Xakanaxa when I was peeking out from the roof tent to see what the noise was all about.

Yes, there is the daily packing up to do, but to us it was well worth it.

To secure the spot, we would often leave our table and chairs at the site.

PS I asked for the bigger size roof tent and it gave us more room lengthwise and sidewise which was great.

loomis ca
Level Contributor
132 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: roof top tent,how long does it take to disassemble?

Thanks to all that have weighed in with your opinions and preferences. People on the forum are so kind and generous to share their wealth of knowledge.

We have camped several times in SA parks, regular tent was perfect. On the other hand, in Mana Pools Zim, open campsite we felt a little unsafe on the ground. We have never been to Namibia and besides Etosha, we plan to camp in the Caprivi, 2 or 3 nights in each camp. Maybe the question I should be asking is it safe to camp on the ground in the Caprivi or will we see more at night from a roof top arrangement?

Thanks again Kathy

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: roof top tent,how long does it take to disassemble?

Safe of the ground or in a Tent. both have their advocates. I have never been worried on the ground and in fact prefer it. Others feel more comfortable up aloft.

Just keep the zip closed and don't have food inside with you. I suppose that goes for Roof Tops too as Oranges would be nice and handy for an Elephant should he fancy one.

Do tents keep out trouble?

Watch this!

www.youtube.com/watch…

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: roof top tent,how long does it take to disassemble?

A roof top tent has the clear advantage that is saves space in the vehicle and is easy to set up or take down. You can also leave you bedding the tent, which saves you the hassle of also packing this away. That are the clear advantages for the roof top tent.

On the other hand, if you want to stay at one spot for more than one night, it's a disadvantage again as you always have to pack it up when you go on a game drive.

The ground tent has it's advantage here. You can leave all behind and just drive off, without having to pack everything up again. Once you have put the ground tent up a couple of times its also quite quick to set it uo and take it down. Ground tents also have a bit more space than roof top tents. The disadvantage with the ground tent is that it takes away a lot of room in the back of the vehicle as you also have to load the mattresses into the back as well.

I have both and depending on what we do, I choose the tent that is the best solution for the tour. If you back up nearly everyday, a roof top tent is the answer, if you stay in one place for a couple of days a ground tent is the better solution.

From a safety point of view, I don't think a roof top tent is saver just because it is on the roof of the vehicle.

Have fun, the Caprivi has some great campsites and you will enjoy it!

Clive - Suricate Safaris Namibia

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: roof top tent,how long does it take to disassemble?

Hi. The above is all useful . I have had experience of both. Our rooftop tent is a little larger than most . Your question re time. It takes me on my own exactly 8 minutes to put up and 8 minutes to take down. We leave fitted sheets , duvet , night-wear and two feather pillows in the tent to save time.

All the experienced campers in Moremi or Chobe wil drop their ground tents to avoid baboon or elephant damage when away from the site. We leave our locked metal boxes as indication of our camp site to others. We tried leaving chairs but they could get damaged. We have had chairs damaged by hyenas.

We have also had elephant eating fruit above our tent at Xakanaka (About an hour one night) , A lion growling below the tent in CKNR and hippo and hyenas sniffig our original ground tent at Xakanaka.

Enjoy!

Gordon

loomis ca
Level Contributor
132 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: roof top tent,how long does it take to disassemble?

Thank you Gordon. While we will take our lightweight ground tent as an option, it appears it is best to have a rooftop tent, and it doesn't take all that long to put up and take down. Good advice on "keeping" your camp while away.

I certainly appreciate the feedback.

Kathy

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: roof top tent,how long does it take to disassemble?

normally you are allocated a campsite, so nobody is suppose to come and set up on your site.

all i can say is that, with a rooftop dont drink to much wine or beer, the ladders can become very tricky and if you want to go to loo, imagine, but people feel safer in them, although i have been doing camping safaris in the wild for many years and never had any problems with wildlife at night.

if you go for rootop, then good idea to wait until just before you go to bed or sunset before setting up, it should not take more than 5-8min.

Province of...
Level Contributor
207 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: roof top tent,how long does it take to disassemble?

Is it safe to go to the loo in the middle of the night?