We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windhoek or Swakopmund for New Years?

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Windhoek or Swakopmund for New Years?

We are planning a 4 day flyover safari in Namibia and could choose to arrive and start our safari from either Windhoek or Swakopmund. Keeping in mind its New Years eve, what is a better place to spend two nights before heading out into the bush (fun, safe, interesting, etc) ?

Namibia Tours & Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Wild Dog Safaris
Chameleon Safaris Namibia - Day Tours
Wild Wind Safaris
Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windhoek or Swakopmund for New Years?

Hi, I would usually say that both cities have a lot to offer, but over New Year you will find it really difficult to find any accommodation in Swakopmund as that's where many local Namibians and also South Africans head for the festive season! So, Windhoek will probably be your best bet in this case.

Charlotte ATI Holidays

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windhoek or Swakopmund for New Years?

Agree with Charlotte...if you haven't booked accommodation for Swakopmund by now it is going to be quite a struggle as Swakopmund will be bursting at the seams!!! You will have better luck getting accommodation in Windhoek, although I find Windhoek a bit dull (sorry Charlotte :o(

Maybe Charlotte can give you some pointers for fun things that are going on in Windhoek over the New Year, as I think that is probabaly going to work out best for you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Windhoek or Swakopmund for New Years?

Thanks Charlotte,

I actually managed to get a room at Swakopmund Hotel (the old Bahnhof). If rooms aren't a consideration, what do you think?

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windhoek or Swakopmund for New Years?

OK, that's good news! Then I would say Swakopmund will be a fun place to spend a couple of nights, it will be very busy but vibrant. There are always good activities to do provided that they have availability (Catamaran Cruises from Walvis Bay, kayaking also in Walvis, Living Desert tours or a full day trip to Sandwich Harbour), and if not then there is the aquarium, crystal gallery, museum or just the beaches (and not to forget the superb seafood restaurants, the Tug is great and also the Jetty, Kucki's Pub or Erich's).

Have a great time!

Charlotte

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windhoek or Swakopmund for New Years?

Gemma - you do have a point about Windhoek - but I love it over New Year, I can actually park at the shops! So, the best place to be in Windhoek over the festive season 2012 is going to be around my pool with a cold G&T!

Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windhoek or Swakopmund for New Years?

We spent new years eve in swalopmund a few years back. It is a nice place. But I would highly recommend you make restaurant/evening plans in advance. Only some of the restaurants were open and those that were were all full when we were there so we couldn't get anywhere to eat and had to cook food on our camping stove on the hotel balcony! Drinks shouldn't be a problem but for meals definitely make a reservation!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Windhoek or Swakopmund for New Years?

Swakapmond all the way. Its a fun scene that time of year

8. Re: Windhoek or Swakopmund for New Years?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 21, 2013