We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night game drives

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Night game drives

I know it is illegal to drive after dark in Etosha. Also, insurance for rental cars are voided if driving after dark in Namibia. However, do any of the Etosha camps offer true night game drives? Not just evening drives that return at sundown, but night game drives. We will be staying in Dolomite, Halali and Okaukuejo in July. Sunset is pretty early, around 530pm. We can spend time at the waterhole at Halali and Okaukuejo, but there is no such luxury at Dolomite. Besides, I think we will get quite frustrated with the mass of people talking and socializing at the water holes (we did at Halali back in march).

I am also assuming that there are no walking safaris or hikes in Etosha.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,592 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Night game drives

Them otters grow big in South America...

Probably not much help, Stephen, but I was tring to remember where I had good night drives. Huab's were superb, although my judgement may have been clouded by spotting an Aardwolf; the first seen there for about a decade. Excellent guiding there.

As at Hobatere (now closed, sadly), although one group with us were a bit pessimistic as they driven through Etosha behind huge bush fires, and had seen no life for about 3 days. Trying to cheer them up, their guides pointed and shouted "Aardvark!" Yeah, right... Spring hare probably.

Even without game, I think you could have some activity in the night sky. I hope there isn't a lot of background light at Dolomite, but trying to see shooting stars and satellites can be fun....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Night game drives

Better add my tuppence worth to Stephen always interesting questions.

Night at Halali: Brilliant in October except the second night when the lights went out. Perfect behaviour except for the lady who insisted on feeding the ground squirrels (or could they have been mongooses). I pointed out that they probably had rabies which did slow her down a bit. In March Nothing empty waterhole

Night at Okaukeujo. Awesome in October with quiet respectful (at least to me) people. Even though there were biblical numbers of animals inc rhinos elleis lions ...... In March slightly less game but still amazing but with complete to***rs with motorirised zooms, mega spotlights. loud. Had to restrain Mrs J which was a difficult decision,

The general reports from the night drives at both camps were poor and not worth the cash, better stick to waterholes if you can tolerate idiots who can only see the world through a camera.

On night drives nothing beats South Luangwa. utterly fantastic.

We did a night drive at Hobatere and I am afraid it was poor with a bored driver and spotter. Also we were constrained by a fanatical group of birders who couldnt understand my fascination for things with big teeth, preferably with blood .The highlight was a spring hare apart from some obscure birds.

For me the alternative is getting up at the crack of dawn, take the paracetemols, get to the gate before everyone else, and get out there. You may just see the sight of a lifetime.Ii have

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Night game drives

Sounds like dolomite is a possibility of a night drive since there is not floodlit waterhole, but at Halali and Okaukuejo, stick to the waterholes with the flood lights. I guess we have to sleep at some point as well. Can't game view all day and all night without sleep......then again, that is what home is for.

John, I will use the squirrel with rabies if needed. Not a bad fall back line to use.

I am worried about how busy the waterholes will be during July and the busy season. I really enjoyed March. At Dolomite, there were only 3 other families. Halali was not half full. With that many people it doesn't take too many loud ones to ruin animal viewing. I thought I might go without showering or using deodorant and if someone gets too loud, just sit next to them and see how long they can take the smell.....

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,630 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Night game drives

<<I thought I might go without showering or using deodorant and if someone gets too loud, just sit next to them and see how long they can take the smell.....>>

Good try but I find the noisy ones have not bathed for a month so how would they notice?

Mega Spotlights at a Waterhole? Is that allowed.

I am also interested in how much Mrs J would charge to come along and keep order? Could be worth a few G&Ts at least.

Stepehn. I would not stress too much about 'crowds' at Waterholes. Just leave and return later if there are too many folks. I generally find those types have the attention span to match their small brain.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Night game drives

I dont think spots are allowed , Mfuwe, they just take their toys along to show off

Mrs J is always available for crowd quelling but its payment up front.GnTs are perfectly acceptable currency. She can stop a charging elephant with a sideways glance and one slightly raised eyebrow. This can be useful. As I have said before she also has utterly astonishing eyesight and doesnt wear glasses for any reason and is the best spotter I have ever met. The combination of the above attributes can make my life a bit of a challenge.

You are right about the attention span of the idiots, they do tend to wander off although the capacity of digital cameras to take large nos of pics does give them a lot of leeway. And why dont they turn the sound on their camera off?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,630 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Night game drives

Well given that John I think we could agree terms. I am not sure the sideways glance would always work on Black Rhino as they might think she is taking the mickey.. How is she on tree climbing?

The idiots need the beep and blinking light. How else would they know it was switched on and working?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Night game drives

I had a friend ask me if I wanted to borrow his "One million candlelight spotlight" to take with me to Africa. I told him it was illegal to bring them into the country.....

I can't imagine sitting at the watering hole and beaming the light out at the animals. If I saw that, I might have to throw something. Maybe even something large.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Night game drives

Trust me if the Black rhino knew what was sensible it would heed the glance. I know

19. Re: Night game drives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, December 17, 2013