We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namibia without car ! Need a solution !

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Namibia without car ! Need a solution !

Hi Everybody,

We are the 9th of November and we don't have anymore car for our trip in Namibia begining the 14th ! My driving licence, sent to be translated, has been lost by the post.

Anyway I'm looking for any solution to enjoy our stay : We are arriving the 14th (2pm) and we leave the 27th of November from Windhoek. So

- If you know any D-system to get a car ? Or how can we have a chance to find one when we will be there ? (I guess not on internet) I only have the photocopy of my french driving licence, that's it. I'm a confident driver, even on the left hand side as I'm currently living in the UK.

- If we can find anybody who has 2 spare seats, we would love joining you. It can be from windhoek or Swakopmund, for a part of your trip, just a few days (in Namib, Dramaraland, Etosha...).

- Any suggestion about what's possible without a car ? Or what we can visit around Windhoek ? Because we have a very short stay, I guess we will just have time to visit Windhoek, Swakopmund and maybe find a small safari farm close to a city.

Or maybe some quick and CHEAP organized tours/excurtions exists from Windhoek ?

Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can give !

Lise & Quentin

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Namibia without car ! Need a solution !

To be honest Lise you are going to struggle to find someone to rent you a car without your license, especially if all you have is a photocopy of it, and it is in French without the necessary translation. I don't think a reputable firm would take that, but maybe you find someone. Added to that you are really going to struggle at the police roadblocks, of which there are many, if you don't have your license and translation or an international license.

Some localhire firms have drivers they hire out, so maybe you can see with who you booked your car from.

I would also pop a message on the Lonely Planet forum, often you have people there looking for other folks to join them.

Without a car you can get a shuttle to Swakopmund, we use Townhoppers but also good are Welwitschia Shuttle. From Swakopmund you can easily get a taxi to Walvis Bay if you need to. Pretty much all the activity operators will collect you from your accommodation if you ask.

Namib Naukluft Lodge have a shuttle that goes from Swakopmund and Windhoek, so you could get to the desert that way and then take excursions from the lodge

Mushara Lodge in Eastern Etosha have a shuttle that goes to and from Windhoek, so technically you could get to quite a few places without a car, but it will be fairly pricey.

Your cheapest option would be to have a look on the Wild Dog Safaris or Chameleon Safaris websites and see if any of their budget tours would suit your time frame.

The other option of course would be to hire a guide that has his own vehicle so it removes the whole car hire issue, but that would be pretty expensive. You wod be looking at around NAD 2000 a day for a guide with while then you would still have to give them an accommodation, meals and fuel allowance.

Good Luck

Gemma Dry -Discover Namibia Safaris

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Namibia without car ! Need a solution !

I once hired a car - a one-way pickup starting in Palmwag. I couldn't find my driving licence (and had left it in the UK), but the guys delivering the car accepted my International Driving Permit.

I think they just wanted rid of the car having driven through the night to drop it off.

I wouldn't advise trying this tactic, though. I can't add to Gemma's excellent advice.

Are you saying you are leaving in less than 5 days time and you don't have any accommodation booked??

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Namibia without car ! Need a solution !

Heya you 2,

Thank you for your precious advices !

It's fairly pricely but it's better than nothing if we are really stucked there.

However there might be a solution with the car renting agency that doesn't look so strict finallay. Obvioulsy they could accept the photocopy of the driving licence with a certified translation. I'll ask the translator to send me a translation from the PDF of the driving licence, I can try to make certify by the consul.

I will still risk a bit with the local police, but I hope they will be more lenient with tourists who spend their money here. I also have some hope with the ambassady that should have record of my driving licence (so confirm I'm OK).

I will let you know, it's not completely lost.

Lise

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,648 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Namibia without car ! Need a solution !

Good luck Lise. I hope it works out well for you. I don't think the Police at roadblocks will trouble you over much if you have some form of Licence. It is when you have nothing, or it is left back in your Hotel, (ahem! Like mine)) that they show interest in tourists.

Tell me, if you have time, don't all "pink" Euro Licenses have translations these days? Mine does. How have you coped in UK?

5. Re: Namibia without car ! Need a solution !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 24, 2013