We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild Dog Safari

Ingatestone
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Wild Dog Safari

Just wondering if the age of people joining this company is very young or are there oldies as well ?

Also are there lots of people in a car or is it a sort of minivan where one doesn't get a good view ?

How easy is it to see the animals and are there lots of stops for photo taking ?

Would like to do a camping safari but not sure if we are "past" it !

Caty

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild Dog Safari

I have never used Wilddog but they have a good clientelle.

When you get as old as what I am you will still not be past it. Having said that you may wish to consider a self drive where you call the shots. Literally if you bring a camera.

I think I may be past the point where I wish to share a car with 'kids' of <40 something.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild Dog Safari

Hi

WildDog Safaris is a good, reputable company based in Windhoek. They run many trips with all types of vehicles, different group sizes, different types of trips, various accommodations and the clients range from young to not so young. Most of their groups are small. Select a trip and see how many people are in the group. You are "never" past a camping safari.

Werner

Eko Tracks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild Dog Safari

I think Caty1 is concerned with whether they will be the only 'olds' in a tour with all youngies.

Wild Dog is one of the most popular local operators in Namibia.We often saw their tours....and I can't remember seeing any 'olds' amongst the group.Which were using overland type trucks.

It can be a lonely experience being the only 'olds' on a truck load of youngsters, no matter how young at heart you are.As our friends reported.

Wild Dog would be one of the best value for money operators, but with that you can read cheapest and camping, and with that you can infer young backpackers.

If Caty1 is concerned with the age mix of the group, then go upmarket a bit, and pay more."Oldies' will be concentrated in the tours that offer more comforts, hotels/lodges rather than camping, but this will cost you more.Arthritis and ground don't mix well.

You'll have to balance up what you are prepared to pay, against more chance of being in your age group in a dearer tour.

Ingatestone
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild Dog Safari

Ah, difficult, difficult decision ! Although we would be considered "oldies" we like the idea of beeing closer to nature but if the trucks are full of youngsters wanting to party in the evening that wouldn't appeal to us either.

We really want to be with like minded people. The camping shouldn't be too much of a problem, we're not arthritic yet !

The money comes into it as well, obviously and we are finding the safaris are not cheap holidays. Not having ever been before we're not sure where to start.

Caty

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild Dog Safari

Jimshu is right. I would hate to be stuck in a truck or even minivan with folks of a different era. Don't forget this is for 14 days not just a flight somewhere where you can put up with short term incompatability. Not getting at kids as some old beggars can be a right pain too. Younger groups do tend to party and then sleep late ("Not morning people" is oft heard around camp.)

A self drive is not expensive and you can take a 'Camper' or drag a tent.

My vote is for a small Hire car and simple accommodations.

Ask wild Dog for prices on this alterate and maybe a quote from another reputable outfit such as Cardboard box. www.namibian.org and see how it works out.

Don't give up. It is worth the effort.

Ingatestone
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wild Dog Safari

The problem is we really don't want to drive ourselves as we don't know what the roads are like. Don't fancy getting stuck somewhere and as it's a fist safari we really would like a bit of an idea how everything works.

We normally book flights when we go on holidays and then arrange everything once there but I get the feeling that for a safari everything needs to be arranged before.

Caty

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wild Dog Safari

Namibian roads are no problem. I hire a Corolla or Polo from Avis at the Airport just like at home and get along fine. Main roads are all tar and where you do go onto gravel it is usually well graded. NO ruts etc., just keep speed down to 80kph and you won't know the difference. Apart from the tailplume of dust in your mirror. You go at your own pace on a route of your choosing and stop when you want.

I got my pension cheque quite a few years back and have been there 3 times without a problem. I have not been right up to Kunene river but go out to Caprivi and Damaraland and into Etosha without difficulty. Most Lodges in Parks will take you on the Game drives in their own vehicle anyway so animals are not a problem but there is a special buz if you are lucky enough to meet a Rhino in the road. Beats Phyllosan any day. See that foto left? From my car window!

I would commend you to get a Guide book, "Bradt Guide to Namibia" (published in UK) is considered best by many. There are lots of good tips in there.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wild Dog Safari

Last July/Aug we toured with GAP Adventures up from Cape Town through Namibia and my wife carried on to Victoria Falls.2 nights camping at Etosha, rest was lodges, simple hotels.There was a great balance of ages.

GAP also operate the same tour overland truck style which has a high % of youngsters.

This time we have managed to work in 5days at the end of our trip to SA and Namibia and will self drive in a basic 2wd.

Having seen what the roads are like, we are confident self drive is the way to go.If you do a wee bit of homework, you may as Mfuwe says , find self drive will give you a good experience, at an affordable price with good lodge/ hotel accom.The guys here will help you with choosing hotels, and working out your itinerary.

If you are still concerned, the do contact Cardboard Box and check out their range of tour offers.Choose tours that have a balanced mix of hotel/lodges and some camping, rather than full camping, and you should find a balanced age group.

Alternately, check out GAP Adventures.They have their own travel forum.Here you can find out from other travellers all you want to know.You will find me there, as I moderate the forum and am very into Africa!:)Once bitten by the virus, it keeps coming back!

http://wateringhole.gapadventures.com/

Absolute Namibia 10 days , only 2 nights camping.Rest is hotels/farmstay, chalets.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wild Dog Safari

PS.Before anyone thinks that's advertising,I am not employed by GAP.Just a member of their forum , helping others to enjoy travel.

Ingatestone
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wild Dog Safari

Thanks for all this advice. Greatly appriciated. Yes, I think I will get a guide book. normally I use the Lonely Planet, do you really think that the "Bradt" one is better ?

Maybe we'll do a few days with a tour company and the rest on our own if it doesn't look too complicated.

What are the public transports like ? We would like to continue to Botswana and also maybe go to Victoria Falls. Is that feasible by public transport ?