We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etosha and Sabi Sands?

santa fe, NM
Level Contributor
187 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Etosha and Sabi Sands?

We are spending two weeks in Namibia in June... the usual suspects, Soss, Swakopmund, Etosha (5 nights)... but our return flight leaves from Johannesburg. I'm wondering if, since we're there, we should add on a sidetrip to Sabi Sands. Has anyone been to both areas and can advise if Sabi Sands would be very different from Etosha? We are traveling with kids and want to see and learn as much as possible about the african wildlife. Thank you so much for your help!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etosha and Sabi Sands?

Although I have never been to Etosha I have been to both Botswana and Sabi Sands. The two couldn't be more different. Botswana was very open and felt really wild. There was no telling what might be lurking in the way of wildlife around a bend. It was very quiet and in the Kalahari especially we went two days and didn't see another vehicle. I imagine that Etosha is more like this although perhaps with more vehicles. Sabi by contrast was much 'greener' with lots of scrub and trees. (We were there in May) There are a lot more vehicles to be seen and the animals seemed much more easily found. In the three days we were there on just about every drive we saw lions, leopards, elephants, buffalo, countless types of antelope etc. On one day we saw a cheetah. It was very coordinated amongst the guides and when one truck found a particular animal then he would radio its location and other trucks would line up to see it. (This prevented the animal from being too crowded) The animals were very used to the trucks which resulted in some fantastic photos and experiences where we could have almost touched them. Our preference was for Botswana since it was more wild however Sabi provided tremendous "bang for the buck" In short its all great!!! Hope this helps.

Aussie
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Etosha and Sabi Sands?

I'm sorry that I cannot offer a comparison but I can tell you about Sabi Sands. We were there in Dec07 for 3nights 4 days. We absolutley loved it, you are driven around in landrovers and once an animal is spotted they drive very carefully off the track through the bush and up close as far as they can. To be so close in the open was truly an amazing exeperience. We saw all big five many times over, sat and watched 6 male lions rolling around then they got up walked straight past our cars, could have grabbed their tales. Everything was so close and they just did not seem to even notice we were there. I can't speak for anywhere else but I cannot imagine anyone not enjoying Sabi Sands.

We stayed at Elephant plains, in Luxury rooms but next time will go the standard, they looked really good also.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etosha and Sabi Sands?

Yes they are different, and both worth seeing.

But personally, I would add more time in Namibia, otherwise you are merely seeing more of JNB airport. You are only scraping the surface in 2 weeks (although I think 5 days in Etosha is a couple of days too much on a first trip). Try tracking rhinos in Damaraland, if you want to show your children somethng unique and endangered.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,815 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Etosha and Sabi Sands?

Whilst I would advocate trying to find Rhino in Damaraland, who would not, I don't think 5 nights in Etosha is too long. Drive through W-E or vice versa stopping to get a feel of Halali 3 nights and then two at which ever end you are at is about right.

Forget Sabi, as nice as it undoubtedly is. Absorb Namibia first.

santa fe, NM
Level Contributor
187 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Etosha and Sabi Sands?

Thanks for all your comments... we decided to reduce Etosha to 4 nights, and adding 3 nights in the Okavango. Will just make a dash through the JNB airport this time!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Etosha and Sabi Sands?

Hello,

You'll certainly get to see two very different environments by visiting Etosha and the Delta. Should be a fascinating trip!

Cheers,

Julian

7. Re: Etosha and Sabi Sands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, September 21, 2009