We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who is the operator of Gate 1 Namibia tour?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
808 posts
23 reviews
27 helpful votes
Who is the operator of Gate 1 Namibia tour?

Gate 1 Travel advertises and sells a group tour of Namibia. it is called 13 day Namibia, Naturally.

https:/…

They claim to have a group of no more than 22 people and travel around by motor coach. The price seems reasonable for what is included. My husband is not too keen on driving us, and I can't drive a stick so I'm out as a driver.

Are there really bus tours around Namibia? I didn't think the gravel roads could handle that kind of travel. I doubt Gate 1 operates this tour themselves, they just sell it under their name. Anyone know who the operator of this particular tour is? If I could figure it out and book directly with them I can save some money.

7 replies to this topic
auckland
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
22 reviews
23 helpful votes
1. Re: Who is the operator of Gate 1 Namibia tour?

I am sorry I cannot help answer your specific question re who is the operator of Gate 1...... I am still trying to get my head around how they think 22 people is a small group?! I think you may be visualizing ‘a bus’ where what they will be using is one of the more grunty overland vehicles. The route looks pretty standard.... a lot of area to cover in that time frame, cost wise it would depend on which accommodation they are using and also meal wise whether they have a driver/ tour leader and cook and how much you are expected to help. A pertinent question I would definitely ask is the average age of your co travellers....... ie is it a ‘party bus’? There are several big companies with big buses that traverse Namibia, some as part of a muchbigger ‘overland’ experience. I could not travel with 22..... ( mathematically apart from anything else, the time to get that many people on and off a bus several times a day would do my head in) ..... there are companies with smaller numberd offering similar/ same experiences but you would need to do the cost comparisons....... Wild Dogs is a local company based in Windhoek ( think their group size is 12? ..... there were less when I travelled with them a few years back. I believe Intrepid still offers a tour in Namibia ( max either 12 or 16 I believe)although I discounted them even though I like thecompany because of cost. If you wanted to drive it there must be automatic cars available ( I prefer and have only hired manual in Namibia). Have the most amazing time.... such a great country........

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
41,062 posts
504 reviews
483 helpful votes
2. Re: Who is the operator of Gate 1 Namibia tour?

I don't know who they would use but I think they must use SandyLeelee to write their prose (You know who I mean Susie!)

I somehow don't think this trip is for you. This is a multi base large operator catering for mass tourism with a cookie cutter programme. You deserve better.

There are automatic cars available in Namibia now.

Boston, MA, USA
Level Contributor
940 posts
131 reviews
56 helpful votes
3. Re: Who is the operator of Gate 1 Namibia tour?

Have been on many Gate 1 tours when we wanted to do and see a lot in a few days. Their tours are wonderful. Great hotels and usually an interesting tour leader. You certainly get a lot of bang for your $$$. The age group of most travelers has usually been 50+ years, but that said we have traveled with many 20-30 somethings...we did do Namibia twice on our own, but we had over 70 days on both trips...it is a very easy country to travel alone in BUT if your husband is not comfortable driving on dirt/ sand roads for many miles then you should take a tour...this is a wonderful country and being nervous everyday can ruin a vacation...if you rent a car, make sure it is a larger vehicle....enjoy whatever you do 😀😀

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
808 posts
23 reviews
27 helpful votes
4. Re: Who is the operator of Gate 1 Namibia tour?

Ha ha, Mfuwe. Yes, I think SandyLeeLee helped write their description.

I would never take a tour wit ha group of 22 in it. I was just curious. Have many friends who have done small groups tours with Gate 1 and they we're very happy with their trip. The only African Gate 1 trip I have info from a friend on is Kenya, but safaris are done differently there than in Namibia.

If automatic cars are now available then that may change things as I can help with the driving.

I found one SA based company that does tours in large bus type vehicles:

sunway-safaris.com/safaris/accommodated-safa…

This trips starts in Capetown, ends in Windhoek. Is this the kind of party bus dainty frog is referring to?

2 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Who is the operator of Gate 1 Namibia tour?

I don't know who is the operator of GATE !, but I can tell you that we ( a family of 6 including 2 kids 11 and 12 ) have just came back from a 13 days tour in Namibia. We hired a local guide / driver from Windhoek ( Rodney Katuutja ) who rented a car for us and helped in our itinerary and accommodation. He is an exceptional driver and very good guide. His English is very good. He guided us through wonderful views, safaris and very interesting tribes ( he belongs to the Herero/Himba tribes and speaks their language and other local languages ) and he brought us to their places. I really recommend to have him as a guide and driver. You can see his details at rmk tours and safaris

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Who is the operator of Gate 1 Namibia tour?

HI!

Do you happen to have a direct email address or WhatsApp number for Rodney? I am very interested in seeing the Himba tribe and would like a direct contact instead of going through a company. Thank you so much!

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
7 helpful votes
7. Re: Who is the operator of Gate 1 Namibia tour?

Depending on when you are planning to travel it might be worth checking out the following:

Chameleon safaris - they offer group accommodated tours (1-12people) for up to 7 days

Lark Journeys - from 2020 they are offering a 9 day scheduled Accommodated group tour (2-6) people.

Both companies also offer private options if the scheduled options don't suit your budget, but either way, booking directly with a local operator will be your most cost effective option and comes with the benefit of local expertise.

Reply to: Who is the operator of Gate 1 Namibia tour?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted