We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour operators recs

Libertyville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Tour operators recs

Looking to do 18 day self drive to namibia including caprivi strip. Suggestions on travel bookings? Anyone use Timbuktu travel, ATR, Cardboardbixor Audley? Suggestions for Caprivi?

auckland
Level Contributor
732 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour operators recs

Hi there Natureenthusiast...... I suggest you start by inputting each of these agencies' names into the search bar and you will find that there will be lots of older and more recent info for you. From there you might have some very specific requests that we can help further with. I cannot help you with Caprivi ( it is an area I have never got to) but am sure a couple of the forum's experts will reply soon. Enjoy.....

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,793 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour operators recs

From my recent experience I can say that a local travel agent gave about 60% cheaper quote for almost same itinerary then Audley! Cardboard Box is a bigger local travel agency, it has good reviews. I have used Discover Namibia for three years now (4 trips) and can say they do their job 100% correct.

Same here about Caprivi, it looks it is already time to go that way also myself. If you are looking for more specific answers, please add month of your intended travel, and if you will camp or not.

Edited: 2:30 am, August 06, 2017
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour operators recs

The best service is often that offered by local firms based in Namibia. The out of country outfits will only sub contract to them anyway so why pay middle man? An exception may be made for the UK based "Expert Africa" whose management visit regularly and know the area well.

I have used Cardbox box twice and they did a reasonable job and if the field was clear I would use them again. However a few trips back I tried Discover-Namibia and they did even better so I am on my third trip with them later this year. They do have an edge over their rivals I find.

(Try ringing a large outfit at 3pm on Christmas Day with a problem.) Mama Discover picked up the phone.

And I have been to Caprivi most times. Totally different but you do need to allocate at least a week to make going there worthwhile.

With only 18 days at your disposal that would indicate to me that you have a choice. Omit Seseim and stay north of Windhoek or if the 'sandy bits' truly draw you there then Caprivi is for next time. (And there WILL be a next time.)

That xelas has been to Namibia 4 times and not made it up to Caprivi speaks to what I mean. And then there is Kunene too.

Mangawhai, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour operators recs

We leave for Namibia in 2 weeks and will be travelling there and in Botswana for 3 and a half months, including Kunene region and Caprivi. We started researching and planning bookings ourselves but for such a long trip we felt it would be best to have a solid and co-ordinated booking confirmation in each place we wanted to visit, so opted for Gemma at Discover Namibia as recommended by many on this forum. She has been amazing and found us all we needed plus more recommendations and advice beyond our expectations, so although we have not actually been yet (!),up to this point she has delivered on all her promises.

Mangawhai, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour operators recs

Mfuwe, when are you there"later this year"? We may see you along the way. We will be there from 2 weeks time until 15 Dec. What route are you doing this time?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour operators recs

In December. We arrive WDH on 9th and head north. Our itinerary for the conjunction of our dates 9th - 15th would be just south of Etosha. If this coincides it would be fun to swap stories. PM me if it does.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour operators recs

As above, have used Discover Namibia 4 times for trips. Gemma is excellent.

Also, as mentioned above, if only 18 days, then stay from Windhoek and Swak north if wanting to do caprivi. Even that may be a little rushed. Or, skip caprivi and do a comfortable 18 days on "typical circuit."

Coombs
Level Contributor
727 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour operators recs

Namibia and Botswana is now on my radar and never considered doing a self drive. I have been to Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia Uganda and Rwanda, all of which I hired a car a driver , or a safari. But it seems from the reading I am doing that it is quite common for self drive so i assume it must be safe.

However what about animal sightings? I know from my past travels quite often the driver or spotter will see animals that I would have never noticed on my own. Do you hire people in certain areas to do a safari? I am also not interested in camping anymore, that ship has sailed, so would be staying in budget to mid range accommodations.

I can see that you Mfuwe and Xelas recommend Discover Namibia. I have been on their websight but don't see any prices or suggestions of itineraries. Do they suggest to you when you email them, or do you send them a list of what you want.

Sorry if I have highjacked this post, but also want similar information as OP.

Libertyville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour operators recs

I am currently using Cardboard Box travel with Anita....outstanding and they provide you information on pricing of accommodations both on their website and in their quote...excellent vale compared to Audley or Timbuktu...also check African travel resource which was similar to Cardboard Box but fewer midrange choices

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,793 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour operators recs

Spoting wildlife i s easy, for the most part. As for the TA, I have sent her my own itinerary, and used her booking services. Not that difficult for Namibia, might b e more compl ex job for Botswana.