We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria and typhoid medication

New Jersey
Level Contributor
111 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria and typhoid medication

We will be arriving in Windhoek on 5/19 for a 12 day visit with our son who is a Peace Corp volunteer. We will be going to Sossusvlei, Okonjima, Etosha and Otijwarongo. We have been prescribed Mefloquine as a Malaria preventative but the potential side effects are very scary. Has anyone had any experience with Mefloquine (also known as Larium)?

Are Malaria and Thyphoid Fever a real concern in Namibia especially in May as this is the start of the cooler season? Is DEET enough to keep the mosquitos at bay? Our son states he is not currently taking any malaria medication and that the water is safe.

Mentioned in this post
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Sossusvlei Lodge
Sossusvlei Lodge
897 Reviews
Sesriem, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,523 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria and typhoid medication

Each to their own medication and a public forum is not the place for medical advice.

However on the personal basis my wife and I have taken larium (mefloquine) for each visit to a Malarial area without any problems whatsoever. It gets a bad press but not all suffer from the side effects. It should not be taken by anyone with a history of mental problems.

It is also about a fifth cheaper than the much prescribed Malarone which also has side effects. Best advice is to try a pill some time before you leave and if no problems then stick with Larium.

The water is safe but there is ample bottled water if worried. Most lodges in malarial areas have nets on the bed.

cambridge
Level Contributor
301 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria and typhoid medication

Hmmm . Mfuwe's right

Someone correct me if this is wrong, it's actually a criminal offence to give medical advice in contravention of WHO guidelines in a public place , including social platforms?

I believe we can share personal preferences on medication but we can't give firm advice?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
111 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria and typhoid medication

Not asking for advice. Asking people to share their experiences.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria and typhoid medication

Actually, you can give any medical advice you want. It doesn't establish a doctor patient relationship. If you are paid to give advice, that is different. If you are paid to care for them as a patient, it is different. But, on the internet in a public forum, anyone can give advice (good or bad) and not be liable. It is up to the person to listen or not. Maybe different in UK, but not in the US.

I use malarone, but remember, most people do not have side effects to any of the medications. It is a risk, but not a guarantee. What I would suggest is taking a trial dose ahead of time to see how you react. Nightmares is the most common. Others, less so.

Also, in looking at the CDC website, Namibia (where you will be) is a no risk down south and low risk above Windhoek. Take that for what its worth. Most people do not worry about typhoid in the touristy areas.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
cambridge
Level Contributor
301 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria and typhoid medication

Fair enough Stephen, Miami . There's been a long discussion about this elsewhere.

We've taken both Larium and Malarone and never experienced any side effects . We've never taken either for a period longer than eight weeks. We have also avoided malaria up to this point and we have been in areas in serious risk , Angola, Zambia in the rains.

We do take the stuff as a matter of course if we are travelling as we tend to move in and out of potential areas .

We've just finished Malarone prescriptions for our recent trip ,and as Stephen says, we treat anywhere north of Windhoek as a risk area and treat accordingly.

Mentioned in this post
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
190 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria and typhoid medication

I do not like to gamble with my health. So we always take malaria pills. Never used Lariam, always Malerone but as mentioned, these have side effects as well.

Just a quick comment on side effects. Do you know what one of the side effects is of paracetamol? Getting a headache. And where are people using it mostly for... headaches,

Pharmaceutical companies have to add all side effects to the medicine. This does not mean that everybody will get these side effects.

Edited: 4:42 am, February 26, 2017
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,362 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria and typhoid medication

Gambling with the health is driving to the airport. Boarding the plane. And for sure driving in Namibia. But there are no pills for those.

Edited: 5:13 am, February 26, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
190 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria and typhoid medication

Xelas, even if there would be pills for that I wouldn't take them. I loved the driving in Namibia!

Edited: 6:21 am, February 26, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,362 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria and typhoid medication

Irma there is a "pill" - hiring a driver! I skip also that "medication".

North Wales
Level Contributor
291 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria and typhoid medication

I never take risks and travelled to Namibia with Doxycycline. Much cheaper than macaroni ( and Malarone, don't you just love Apple's spellchecker!) and also works as an antibiotic.

Despite the February rains in Etosha we didn't see or hear a single mosquito there in 11 days so I haven't taken my tablets. Never had such a bite free holiday!

I certainly wouldn't advise going unprepared though and if you have the tabletsI suppose you should take them.

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia