We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to spend the extra day?

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Topic
Where to spend the extra day?

Hello all, my friends and I are planning a self drive through Namibia for April. We're doing it pretty quickly but we can't decide where to spend the most time. Of these three places, where would you think it would be best to add an extra day?

1.5 days in Etosha

.5 days in Twyfelfontein/Damaraland

1.5 days in Swakopmund

Thanks!

Jon

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to spend the extra day?

Etosha deserves more time, the park is huge and you need time to stop and watch the animals particularly at the waterholes. Damaraland you may as well skip, if you are allowing just 1/2 day. Add it to Etosha or skip Swakopmund.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to spend the extra day?

Have you looked at travel times? Are the times listed including those travel times?

If I only had 3.5 days, I would drive to Etosha, Spend 3 nights and drive back. I would not try the coast.

There is no way to spend "1/2 day in damarland." All you would be doing is driving through to Swakopmund.

Try not to rush too quickly.

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to spend the extra day?

Well damaraland is essentially just a stop off because we thought the drive from Etosha to Swakopmund would be too long to do on one go. Is that not true? It sounds like we should be spending as much time in etosha as we can though.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to spend the extra day?

You can do it in one day if you leave very early. From Okaukuejo resort it would be approx 7 - 8 hours depending upon stops/traffic/road conditions. Etosha is unique and if your main goal is wildlife viewing yes spend more time there. We stayed 5 nights.but IMHO 3 days is the minimum.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to spend the extra day?

For such a short time just stick to Etosha and if it were me I would do just one camp to not waste time checking in out. I'd go for Okakaukuejo and bear in mind Etosha is over 22,000 sq kms so you wont run out of loops to drive to see game there.The waterhole at night will deliver plenty of animals. Swakopmund will not offer anything like it and all you would be doing is driving.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,859 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to spend the extra day?

Pretty quickly is an understatement of the year, Jonathan. And so is driving through Namibia in 5 nights. Please tell me you are not coming all the way from Chicago for having only 5 nights in Namibia?!

Anyway, do as others have adviced. Drive straight to Etosha, and stay there as long as you can. Which camps and for how many nights will be dictated more by (scarce) availability then your (or ours) preferences, if we are talking April of 2017.

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to spend the extra day?

Thanks for the replies, all! We are flying into Windhoek then doing a self drive circle of Etosha, Damaraland, Swakopmund and Sossusvlei. Then we're doing to fly to Cape Town for a few days! It's definitely a lot but we only get so much vacation time, unfortunately! 17 days total including 4 days of flying.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,859 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to spend the extra day?

I do sympathise with you about the short holidays you are given, but why trying to fit too much into one holiday trip?! Either Namibia or Cape Town with surroundings could be covered nicely with those 13 days.

Since you will end in Cape Town, skip Swakopmund, and by skipping Swakopmund, you will also need to forfait Sossusvlei. You could drive to Etosha via Damaraland, yet again, drive straight to the park, enjoy the park for those 5 nights you have, and come home with great memories of wildlife, not bad memories of long hours on dusty and gravel roads.

Edited: 5:09 pm, January 08, 2017
9. Re: Where to spend the extra day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 10, 2018