We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need recommendation- Only 3 days in Namibia- where to go?

Austin, Texas
7 posts
Save Topic
Need recommendation- Only 3 days in Namibia- where to go?

Hello! I'm planning on stopping in Namibia for 3 days (wish I could stay longer) and can't decide on Sossusvlei or Swakopmund. Is one better than the other? The dunes in Sossusvlei look incredible but love the idea of sandboarfing and other activites in Swakopmund. I would love to do both but seems pretty impossible.

Also, I would be travelling solo- are there any recommended tour groups I should look into? Seems like there's a heft supplement for solo travellers and would love to avoid that if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need recommendation- Only 3 days in Namibia- where to go?

When are you planning to visit. Are you flying into Windhoek or ???. Namibia is a big country so these details will elicit best advice for such a limited amount of time.

Austin, Texas
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need recommendation- Only 3 days in Namibia- where to go?

I would be visiting in April or May and would be flying into Windhoek.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need recommendation- Only 3 days in Namibia- where to go?

Perhaps Sossuslvei Dunes for short time trip to give you an idea of the stunning Namibia desert .I think Swakopmund really doesn't give you the feel for Namibia but if sand dune buggy driving ,sand boarding, fishing ,kayaking etc, appeals then activities there are on offer. Wild Dog Safaris has been recommended as has Chameleon.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,827 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need recommendation- Only 3 days in Namibia- where to go?

Namibia is a huge country. Both places requires one day each way only for travel. To me it makes no sense. One option, if coming from South Africa is to fly directly tp and from Walvis Bay for Swakopmund.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need recommendation- Only 3 days in Namibia- where to go?

www.wilddog-safaris.com/safaris/sossusvlei/.

It can be done but depends on flight arrivals into WH etc. Otherwise hire a car and drive to places close to WH such as Erindi Game reserve approx. 3 hrs to there. 2 nights stay you will see game and be back w/o a rush into WH. They also can organise transport to from. Food for thought !

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need recommendation- Only 3 days in Namibia- where to go?

Xelas

Agree not logical for 3 days.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need recommendation- Only 3 days in Namibia- where to go?

A whistle stop visit some do, personally, wouldn't bother except for 3 hr radius from WH if flight arrives at reasonable hour to make 2 nights worth it.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need recommendation- Only 3 days in Namibia- where to go?

I don't think a tour group is a possibility with your limited time. I agree with the above, 3 days is VERY SHORT and not worth it, unless you can really work out the flight times and you are already in South Africa.

If you can land early and drive somewhere, spend 2 nights and fly out late the last day, it might be worth the effort. Getting around in this huge country is not like here in the US. Plan on extra travel time. Also, do not plan to travel after dark.

If you do this, the only reasonable option is to rent your own car, drive to a location, spend 2 nights and drive back. That would give you one full day to enjoy. If it were me, I would do Swakopmund with such limited time. Closer drive.

Where will you be flying in from?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need recommendation- Only 3 days in Namibia- where to go?

I think the issue is when is the arrival time , per se if late afternoon then that cuts into the allowable availability with return time. Also, we are all assuming a fly in but out may not be the case. People transit via vehicles / bus to neighbouring countries . Guesswork without specific details but very tight we all agree upon.

Edited: 8:17 am, January 03, 2017
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need recommendation- Only 3 days in Namibia- where to go?

Agreed Stargazer1. A little more information will better help us with advice.