We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namibia Itinerary

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Namibia Itinerary

Hi, my husband and I are travelling around Namibia in May 2017 (self drive) and plan do a mix of camping and lodge stays. It is our first time in Africa and we would appreciate any advice/suggestions on our planned itinerary. Initially we had planned a stop at Cape Cross but are now thinking that we should scrap that so that we have an extra night in Etosha.

Current Plan

Day 1 - arrive Windhoek 12noon stay overnight Bullsport (insufficient time to drive to Sossulviel?).

Day 2 - Sossulviel

Day 3 - Sossulviel

Day 4 - Walvis Bay

Day 5 - Walvis Bay

Day 6 - Walvis Bay

Day 7 - Welwitchia Drive and Cape Cross

Day 8 - Vingerklip

Day 9 - Etosha (Okukejo?)

Day 10 - Etosha (Onguma tented camp?)

Day 11 - Etosha (Onguma tented camp?)

Day 12 - Okonjima

Day 13 - Okonjima

Day 14 -drive from Okonjima to Windhoek (flight leaves 15:00)

Any suggestion re good places to stay (or places to avoid) would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Cape Cross
Cape Cross
299 Reviews
Erongo Region, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Walvis Bay
Walvis Bay
Erongo Region, Namibia
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Namibia Itinerary

If it were me, I would cut a day on the coast (Walvis bay) and add it to Damarland or Etosha. Also, I would stay in Swakopmund and not in Walvis Bay.

The main reason people stay in either Walvis bay or Swakopmund is to do some adventure (seal kayaking, quad biking, desert tour). If you are planning that, then a couple of nights should be plenty. If not, then use it as a stopover only. It is not really a resort beach area. In fact, the beach is poor.

I would add a night at Okaukuejo. The water hole is fabulous. The only downside is that May is still not prime season, so the waterhole may not be as productive since there are still pockets of water in the bush. We have stayed there and stayed at Halali. I think the earlier part of the year, Halali is better and later (June or later) then Okaukeujo is better,

14 days is kind of short for Namibia to do both the south and the north. You have 6 nights in Windhoek, the south and Walvis bay. That is a lot for only a 14 day trip.

What are your priorities? Wildlife? Thrill seeking? The coast? Give us some insight and it will help us know what to suggest.

Mentioned in this post
Walvis Bay
Walvis Bay
Erongo Region, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Swakopmund
Swakopmund
Erongo Region, Namibia
Okaukuejo Rest Camp
Okaukuejo Rest Camp
1,775 Reviews
Etosha National Park, Namibia
Halali Resort
Halali Resort
1,100 Reviews
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Namibia Itinerary

Hi Stephen H

thanks for coming back to me so quickly and for the information - really helpful. I've made a few changes and added a bit more detail to the itinerary - hopefully it will be a bit more meaningful. We are after an adventure but we are really going to Namibia for the wildlife. We love natural beauty as opposed to man made environments. With the driving from Sossulviel I think we will struggle to cut Walvis Bay down sadly - as it looks like most of day 4 will be spent driving.

Day 1 - arrive Windhoek 12noon stay overnight Bullsport (insufficient time to drive to Sossulviel?)

Day 2 - drive Sossulviel - overnight in Sossulviel (see canyon)

Day 3 - Sossulviel dunes (overnight in Sossulviel)

Day 4 - Drive Sossulviel to Walvis Bay (6 hours)

Day 5 - Dessert Tour - Walvis Bay overnight

Day 6 - Kayaking - Walvis Bay overnight

Day 7 - Drive Walvis Bay to Vingerklip (4 hour drive)

Day 8 - Drive Vingerklip to Etosha 3 hours (Okaukuejo overnight)

Day 9 - Etosha (Okaukuejo overnight)

Day 10 - Etosha (Onguma tented camp overnight?)

Day 11 - Etosha (Onguma tented camp overnight?)

Day 12 - drive Etosha to Okonjima (3 hours)

Day 13 - Okonjima overnight

Day 14 -drive from Okonjima to Windhoek (flight leaves 15:00)

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Walvis Bay
Walvis Bay
Erongo Region, Namibia
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Vingerklip Lodge
Vingerklip Lodge
511 Reviews
Damaraland, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Okaukuejo Rest Camp
Okaukuejo Rest Camp
1,775 Reviews
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,334 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Namibia Itinerary

There are any options between Sossusvlei and Etosha, and your itinerary is a good one.

On day 1, depending on your car rentl compny, even reaching Bullsport might be questinable. Consult in advance how long the pick up procedure is; my experinces varies between 1 - 2 hours.

You could pack both desert tour and kayaking into one day, thus having one day extra to stop between WB and Vingerklip. While Onguma is probably nicer camp, Halali is more centrally located.

BTW when in May are you startting your trip?

Mentioned in this post
Sossusvlei Lodge
Sossusvlei Lodge
897 Reviews
Sesriem, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Vingerklip Lodge
Vingerklip Lodge
511 Reviews
Damaraland, Namibia
Halali Resort
Halali Resort
1,100 Reviews
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Namibia Itinerary

Hi Xelas

Thank you for casting your eye over out itinerary. Really appreciate the advise - especially re the first night Bullsport, we had even considered trying to get all the way to Sossusvlei at one point until we started to work out journey times!!

We arrive in Namibia on 23rd May.

Mentioned in this post
Sossusvlei Lodge
Sossusvlei Lodge
897 Reviews
Sesriem, Namibia
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,334 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Namibia Itinerary

We are leaving Namibia on May 15th. On the way to Sossusvlei we will overnight at Barchan Dune Lodge. Arrival time is 09:50 and even though I have done the road to Sossusvlei already in 2015, I have decided to take the safe route and stop before Sossusvlei.

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Sossusvlei Lodge
Sossusvlei Lodge
897 Reviews
Sesriem, Namibia
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Namibia Itinerary

We will just miss you! Wishing you an amazing time! It must be good if you are going back so soon!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,334 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Namibia Itinerary

Good is an understatement!

8. Re: Namibia Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 07, 2018