We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namibia in March

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
152 posts
342 reviews
Save Topic
Namibia in March

Hello,

Has anyone traveled during the raining season? How bad are the rains and conditions in mid-March?

There's a tour I'm considering in it's cheaper in March than November (the other time frame I'm considering) and I'm just wondering how bad are the conditions and how does it impact game drives and animal viewing?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Namibia in March

I have been in March and will be going back this March. Yes, it is 'rainy' season. But remember, this is a country that measures rain in millimeters, not inches. Ir rarely rains for long periods or even daily. It is not like the rainy season in other parts of Africa, In Central/South America or in Asia. The main downfall is that the rain allows puddles and water in the bush so not all animals will have to make the daily trips to the watering holes. The game viewing will be good, just not as good as during the dry season. The scenery is better during the rainy season. Green and more lush. The higher grass will also make it harder to see some animals.

I like March better. Much less crowds and prettier for photography. I have been in July and will be going back in June, but like March better. Everyone needs to experience the dry season at some point, but after one time, the green season is also needed.

If it is cheaper and makes your schedule, do March.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
152 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Namibia in March

The March departure is $400 cheaper than the November departure that's why I was wondering the raining conditions in March. I haven't looked at airfares yet I'm sure there will be a fare difference flying in March versus November from JFK.

Which tour company have you gone with and plan to go with again?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Namibia in March

I use Discover Namibia and do a self-drive. Namibia is probably the easiest country in Africa in which to do a self-drive. Very safe and very simple. Discover Namibia (Gemma Dry- one of the destination experts on this forum) will be able to hook you up with a group tour operator or set you up a private tour. She is busy, but great! I have used her for all 4 of my trips.

The flight departure from Nashville (via Atlanta) is $400 cheaper in March compared to peak season as well. That is an $800 savings for you between tour and flight. Use that money for other perks or longer stay.

If it were me, I would drive myself (doing it for the 4th time this year). I would not drive myself in other African countries (maybe South Africa). Used a guide and private tour in East Africa twice.

Mentioned in this post
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Namibia in March

go to the 4 x 4 forum Namibia as they have members updating road conditions all the time

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
152 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Namibia in March

Which thread is the 4x4 forum?

6. Re: Namibia in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 25, 2018