We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help

Hello,

I was hoping someone with more experience could help revise my upcoming self-drive itinerary. Myself and two friends are planning a self-drive at the end of May.

May 26: land in Windhoek, pick up vehicle

May 27: 3 hour trip to Waterberg, game drive that day if possible, hike/camp

May 28: leave for Etosha, 1 hour trip from Waterberg

May 29-June 1: Etosha

June 1: leave for Damaraland

June 3-4: Swakopmund

June 5-7: Sossusvlei

June 7: drive back to Windhoek

June 8: fly home

Couple things:

1. Do we need to adjust the time we're spending in each spot? Should we skip Waterberg so we can spend another day in Swakopmund?

2. In Damaraland, do you recommend we stay in the Northern or Southern part? I'm torn, and I figured extra input would be nice

3. Did I leave anything off the list? Is there a must-see I skipped? We do plan on doing day trips in Sossusvlei and Swakopmund.

4. Is this itinerary too overzealous for our timeframe?

Any help would be greatly helpful and much appreciated!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help

I would consider doing either the north or the south rather than both in your time frame. Namibia is a big country with big distances between main attractions. This coupled with a road system that comprises 60% gravel roads means long drives with slower speeds.

You only have 13 days in total so best to prioritise what for you is essential to visit. You need to allow time to collect and check rental vehicle. The drive from Hosea airport into WDK is at least 40 minutes so add at least an hour or more for this. Depending upon when your flight arrives this may mean a shorter1st day drive as you do not want to be driving in the dark.

I would have more time in Etosha and Damaraland, highlights being the wildlife and scenery. Also near Twfelfontein, rock art is interesting to see with a guide. Swakopmund is for me a one night stay en route, but we are not in water activities, all on our doorstep here but some do kayaking , nature tours etc. All depends upon your interests but too overzealous as is.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help

I'm arriving in Windhoek one day after you. My itin is a bit different and is for 16 days but it might give you something to go on. You have 3 days less than I but you can still make it work out pretty good. If you could add an extra day or two even better especially when coming from so far. I might even bump into you on this trip.

I would get rid of Waterberg for Damaraland. I've also got fewer days in Etosha as I'm not focusing on Wildlife as much on this trip, so 3 nights is fine for me. I really want to enjoy the scenery of Damaraland and Spitzkoppe. What I did was check out http://www.namibian.org/. Under places I just read up and then googled the images of each area to get a good idea of what I was reading here on TA.

Day 1 Arrive WDH

Day 2 and 3 Sossusvlei

Day 4 and 5 Swakopmund - we are kayaking at Walvis Bay and doing the Sandwich Harbour tour. If you don't have any real activities planned for Swakopmund, one night should be enough. I certainly wouldn't spend more than two night in Swakopmund.

Day 6 and 7 Damaraland - Madisa Campsite

Day 8 and 9 Damaraland - Hoada Campsite

Day 10-12 Etosha

Day 13 Erongo area - Hohenstein Lodge

Day 14 Spitzkoppe

Day 15 WDH

Day 16 - Depart WDH

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,831 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help

As above two members also my advice is not to stop in Waterberg but to drive directly to Etosha. Stay 4 nights there. 2 nights in Damaraland. Northern part is more scenic, IMO. 2 nights are long enough for Sossusvlei. Thus:

26/5 arrival WDH, pick up rental car, overnight

27/5 -30/5 Etosha

31/5 - 1/6 Damaraland north

2/6 - 3/6 Swakopmund

4/6 - 5/6 Sossusvlei

7/6 Windhoek

8/6 departure WDH

Depending on your arrival and departure flights you could start your trip without overnight in Windhoek. And, usually folks does counter-clockwise route, thus leaving the best for the last!

TX
Level Contributor
563 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help

I would also recommend skipping Waterberg. It's a worthwhile stop if you had a bunch of extra time to fill, but the game drives there will not even come close to Etosha. The hiking is nice, but I didn't find it to be among the more memorable hikes that we made while traveling around southern Africa. If you can make it to Spitzkoppe, the hiking there is far more interesting and spectacular. Have fun whatever you decide! One more thought, depending on what you have planned in Swakopmund, it might be worth taking a night from there and allocating it elsewhere. If seeing wildlife is top on your list, it's hard to spend too much time in Etosha.

Dhaka City...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help

Hey,

we made it this way:

https:/…5730be28bd57a50300fc288b

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help

I agree with the above. Skip Waterbug and add to Etosha or Damarland. I like the northern part of Damarland better, but you could do 2 nights northern and one night southern.

We really enjoyed the seal kayaking in Swak/Walvis bay. Very easy to do and a great way to see the salt mining and dunes.

If you do stay in Waterburg, take a chance to go see the Cheetah Conservation Fund.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help

Thank you, all! This has been hugely helpful!

We added a night in Damaraland and skipping Waterberg. We're going to do 2 nights in the north and 2 in the south. It looks like there's a LOT of options in the north. What area is best for first-time visitors?

Thanks in advance!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,831 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Help

Let us know which places are you choosing between.

9. Re: Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:55 am, January 12, 2018
10. Re: Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 29, 2017