We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route

Enschede, The...
Level Contributor
47 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Route

August 2017 we will make a selfdrive with a 4x4 vehicle to Namibia for 25 days (23 days in total in Namibia)

We are trying to make a route and i hope somebody can give me some advise about it

1. arrive at windhoek, get the car and do some groceries, then sleep somewhere near Windhoek

2. drive to Sesriem, near the gate of Sossusvlei

3. See dune 45, big daddy, deathvlei and in the afternoon go to Sesriem canyon. Then sleep at weltevrede guestfarm

4. first drive to Solitaire and then further to walvisbaai and/ or Swakopmund

5. do the living dessert tour in the morning and in the afternoon quadbiking. Sleep in Wlavisbaai or Swakopmund

6. go to cape cross to see the seals and then go to Uis

7. via the organ pipes drive to warmquelle

8. Warmquelle to opuwo, do some groceries, see the market and then go further to Epupa falls

9. a more relaxing day, see the waterfall and doing nothing. Sleep in Epupa

10.go to a Himba village. Sleep in Epupa

11.From Epupa to Olifantsrus

12. Olifantsrus to Okaukeujo

13. Okaukeujo to Halali

14. Halali to Namutoni

15. Namutoni to Grashoek. Go to the San and do a 2 hour crafts in the village excursion. After that in the late afternoon do a 1,5 hour bushwalk with the san. Stay at the campsite of the San

16. From Grashoek to Bagani

17. Go to Mahango parc and sleep in Bagani

18. do a Mokorotrip and the rest of the day do nothing. Sleep in Bagani

19. Bagani to Rundu

20. a relaxing day sleep near Rundu

21. Rundu to Otjiwarango, do a tour at the Africat foundation and sleep in the neighbourhood of the foundation

22. Otjiwarongo to a campsite near Windhoek

23. Bring our car back in Windhoek and go to the airport

All ideas and feedback are very welcome. I hope somebody can help us...

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route

I assume this is a camping equipped vehicle and you have reasonable driving experience as parts of that route are not for first timers although most of it is fine.

I will only comment on days that, in my opinion, need examination.

Day 11. That is a long run especially with the part inside Etosha maybe slow going for animals and gate formalities etc., No real time to linger so do get started promptly.

I would also have suggested a little more time in Etosha rather than just driving camp to camp and out the other side.

16. This again will be a long day as you have to loop back to the tar at "Roys" and then drive 400km to Bagani. Again I assume you had no plans to cut the corner through Tsumkwe and Khaudom. That would not be a good idea!

The rest is fairly straightforward although pre booking your camp pitches in good time would be wise for August.

I don't camp very often so have not made recommendations as to sites.

Good luck.

Enschede, The...
Level Contributor
47 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route

Thank you for your reply, i really appreciate your help.

We will look at day 11 and 16, do you have any suggestions to make it better?

And it is our first time, so we have no reasonable driving experience. What are the parts that can give problems? And what problems can we face then?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route

Day 11 is a commitment but is probably an easier ride than going up on day 8 as it is tar from Opuwo to Galton Gate. You could of course move on part way after the Himba trip on day 10. I think you are OK as long as you realise you just need to avoid long stops anywhere.

Day 16 is much the same. You just need to be aware of the need to avoid delays. You will have two Vet fences and several villages on the approaches to Rundu with speed bumps and other hazards like goats and kids on the road.

You have paced the rest of the trip very well so just be aware of the distances and watch the fuel guage. I think your car will have two tanks and the guage shows 'full' until the first tank is empty. So my rule is as soon as the guage starts to drop it is time to fill up again. There is only one filler for both tanks so not complicated at all. Fuel at most places along your route but some times they are 'out' and you need to keep a reserve to get to the next..

Make sure you get a very comprehensive briefing when you pick up the vehicle and check the spares and jack and know how to change wheels. Some folks undo the wheel nuts and then retighten as they may be very hard to shift if tightened by machine or big ape!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,874 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route

From almost first timer perspective, you will encounter many dusty kilometers on gravel roads. Driving in Namibia is a slow affair; our own "record" is an average speed of 50 km/h. And as a driver (of older age but plenty of rods driven in the past) it is also a tiresome affair. 3-4 hours daily is my maximum, and those 4+ or longer drives should have a couple of shorter ones in between. Regarding the driving times, make it sure that you will reach your next destination well before sunset, and factor in a possible flat tire delay.

Yours is one very interesting itinerary however, not very much a first-timer itinerary. Doable, with proper planning, for sure very interesting, and with only 3 days in Etosha you will want to come back for more.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route

I think too rushed and only a short time in Etosha what a shame. I truly think have more time in those places which pique your interest rather than driving 5 - 6 hrs on roads which aren't comfortable to cover more rather than less. First timers no problem, we all were but now reading your itinerary , I think its too much driving w/o smelling the roses so to speak IMO.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route

There is no doubt the trip may be more pleasant if taken slower. However I was conscious of the sprinkling of 'rest days' in the mix and tried not to be too discouraging. The two sectors I queried do have long stretches of tar where speed can be taken up a notch. 400km at 80kph average is not too bad as an exception for those days.

My encouragement may of course falter if I was to learn the children were on this trip. then I would suggest scrubbing Epupa sector for more time in Etosha and a slower trip up the Caprivi.

Edited: 9:48 am, November 21, 2016
Enschede, The...
Level Contributor
47 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route

Thanks everybody for the good advice.

We decided to skip Epupa and made some changes in our itenerary

We now have the idea to do it like this:

1. fly to windhoek

2. arrive at Windhoek

3. drive to sesriem and the afternoon do nothing

4. Sossusvlei, deathvlei, sesriem canyon and then drive to weltevrede guestfarm

5. drive to solitaire , walvisbaai, swakopmund

6. living dessert tour in the morning and qaud biking in the afternoon

7. from Swakop drive to cape cross, and then to spitskoppe

8. Spitskoppe to Kamanjab

9. Himba tour at kamanjab

10. kamanjab to Okaukeujo and afternoon game drive

11. Okaukeujo game drive morning and late afternoon

12. to halali, game drive in the afternoon

13. Halali, game drive morning and afternoon

14. to Ungumo, game drive afternoon/. is it possible to see the animals in the evening here?

15. Drive to Grashoek and have a excursion in the afternoon

16. Bushwalk with the san people and them drive to Rundu Hakusembe lodge

17. Rundu hakusembe

18. Rundu naar Bagani, afternoon mokoro trip

19. Mahango gamereserve

20. Bird watching or visit a village afternoon do nothing

21. go to Rundu

22. bird watching

23. Otjiwarongo, cheeta tour

24. morning tour cheeta’s, after that drive to a campsite near windhoek ( any suggestions??)

25. Bring the car back and go to the airport for our flight at 12.20hr

I hope somebody would like to give a oppinion about this itenery

Thanks again.

Enschede, The...
Level Contributor
47 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route

i see i made one mistake, we will stay one day less in Etosha, but we do not know where to stay for two nights, is halali better or Okaukeujo to stay foor 2 nights??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Route

Do you intend camping there or chalets? If Chalets I think Halali is better , very well equipped and modern. However, Okaukeujo the waterhole was amazing and close to the camping site and Bush Chalets which are a bit old and tired compared to Halali. So it comes down to personal preference. Both I enjoyed but my hub saw 11 Rhino with calf at Okaukeujo but it was around midnight, Halali our travel friends saw a couple at their waterhole. It is a toss up. Either way I would allow a decent time for Etosha as it is truly unique.

Enschede, The...
Level Contributor
47 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Route

We are going to the campsites. Is there a difference between halali and okaukeujo?