We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maputo to Kruger

Which Maputo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Maputo to Kruger

Hi, We are visiting Maputo early May and would like to travel to Kruger. Need to know if we should go with a tour company or try it ourselves by bus or rent a car. Should we hire a guide in Kruger and stay the night or are there operators from Maputo who offer this option? The only tours I can find are day trips. Is this enough time to experience Kruger or do we need longer. Will only have several days for experiences out of Maputo. How about Zimbabwe? Is Victoria Falls within a few hours drive or is this a better "fly to" option. Thanks for any help.

geneva
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maputo to Kruger

Hi,

Kruger is easily doable but I would forget about Victoria falls, it will be rushed and expensive...you could consider a couple of days on Inhaca island, go to Ponta d'Ouro or contact people at Calanga beach resort(just google the name to get their email address), they also offer transfers from Maputo to the Kruger and organize visits of the park for 2 or 3 days.

I also found Mozaic Travel in Maputo to be very helpful, ask for Rosario.

San Diego...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Maputo to Kruger

Thank you for the information. It will be very helpful. kyandana

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
4 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maputo to Kruger

Hello!

I am here in Maputo and did the day trip today! The travel agencies charged me 680 USD and as I thought that was a little too much I asked if they could get more people to go and in the four weekends I have been here they never made it happen. So this week I asked the cab driver I was doing everything with and he charged me 8000 meticais (28 exchange rate to the dollar).

It is about 100 Km's aways. We left at 7 am and when we got there I asked him if he didn't want to drive me instead of me getting on one of the safari trucks.

As he had never been he wanted to and charged me nothing for that. I stayed all day (until 5pm) and saw tons of wildlife - lions, zebras, giraffes, rhinos, deer, birds etc. would I have liked to spend the night? Yes! But nevertheless it was great!

And cost me much less thank with the travel agency!

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
881 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maputo to Kruger

Interesting idea Richard...but who tried to charge you 680USD?? This is really expensive. Mozaic Travel and Dana Tours charge a little over $200 if you can join a group and you then have a guide which adds so much more than just animal spotting. And this price includes park entrance fees. 8000mtn is quite a lot, especially considering no professional guide.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
4 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maputo to Kruger

As i mentioned during the four weeks I was there they could never get a group together!

Hello!

I am here in Maputo and did the day trip today! The travel agencies charged me 680 USD and as I thought that was a little too much I asked if they could get more people to go and in the four weekends I have been here they never made it happen. So this week I asked the cab driver I was doing everything with and he charged me 8000 meticais (28 exchange rate to the dollar).

It is about 100 Km's aways. We left at 7 am and when we got there I asked him if he didn't want to drive me instead of me getting on one of the safari trucks.

As he had never been he wanted to and charged me nothing for that. I stayed all day (until 5pm) and saw tons of wildlife - lions, zebras, giraffes, rhinos, deer, birds etc. would I have liked to spend the night? Yes! But nevertheless it was great!

And cost me much less thank with the travel agency!

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
881 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maputo to Kruger

Hmm, Odd. Curious, what was the agency that couldn't get a group together in this time? And that was charging 680USD?

7. Re: Maputo to Kruger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:42 am, June 18, 2013