We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Kruger from Maputo

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
12 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Kruger from Maputo

Hi all,

we are planning a 3-week trip to Mozambique in July and would like to take a sidetrip to Kruger national park for a few days. Can anyone advise us on the best way to get there? In particular, we are unsure about whether we should hire a car in Maputo, or take a bus to the border first and hire a car there (if that is even possible), or maybe even take a flight. It seems that car hire in South Africa is almost 10 times cheaper than in Maputo, and very little information can be found on road conditions. Any help would be great!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
701 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Kruger from Maputo

The side trip is a great idea. I would suggest flying to Nelspruit and hiring a car there. That way you do not have to worry about the border corssing, which is a bit confusing.

LIMA, PERU
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Kruger from Maputo

the person who initially replied to you made a sugestion that you fly to nelspruit. i agree whole heartedly. although i have not been in moz my self, i have heard it from more than one reliable source - the road blocks can be numerous and complicated.

have a fantastic trip. sa is tops!

Kloof
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Kruger from Maputo

The road from Maputo to South Africa (Via Komatipoort)is a toll road,excellent condition.Approx 1 hour travel to the border,border crossing can take a while.Entry to Kruger Park is approx 30 minutes from border-enter Kruger at Crocodile Bridge gate.The traffic police in Moz are a problem-they do stop travellers & try for bribes.I find them scary !!I live in South Africa & have travelled this route previously.It may be an option to take a bus or mini-bus taxi to Nelspruit 9or Komatipoort) to collect a car.I have not used public transport in this area but this will be cheaper than flying.

Enjoy your trip,interesting country,fantastic & cheap seafood !!

Let me know if I can provide more info.

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
12 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Kruger from Maputo

We managed to solve the problem by booking a bus from Maputo to Malelane and renting a car there. The bus is indeed much cheaper than flying. The car hire was also cheaper because we won't need a 4WD, which would've been necessary in Moz because of road conditions ans safety issues.

Thank you all for your help!

Kloof
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Kruger from Maputo

Good decision to go by bus--not a lot of fun being harrased by cops in Moz.We've had problems on the toll road to Komati before.

Enjoy Kruger...the best place to relax & enjoy the bush.July a great time to be in Kruger.

6. Re: Visiting Kruger from Maputo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:30 am, November 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Maputo